Please Help with Favus Diagnosis and Treatment

LunaBlue

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2023
Hello all, I'm new here and am looking forward to learning from all you chicken experts!

I have a question for you all as well:
My older group of laying hens (7 Easter Eggers, 2 years old) all appear to have developed favus. Many of them have white spots and black scabs on their combs and several have lost feathers on their faces and necks. I have been applying clotrimazole cream to their combs, faces, and necks for the past two nights. However, it is hard to find and a pain to apply to a bunch of fussy birds.

I bought three different spray medications that I would prefer to use on their necks if possible. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these sprays: Banixx (2.5% Hydronium Ion solution), Vetericyn+ Antimicrobial Poultry Care (Hypochlorous acid), and Veterinary Formula Antiseptic & Antifungal (Chlorhexidine Gluconate). If any aren't useful for this application, that's fine. I like to have extra stuff in my first aide kit anyways.

I've included a photo of the spots on some of the hens' combs as well as some of the hens with feather loss. I can get more photos if needed. They are panting cuz it's 102° out here today. 🥵

Attachments

• 20230626_170534.jpg
    20230626_170534.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230626_170619.jpg
    20230626_170619.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230626_170707.jpg
    20230626_170707.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 44
  • VideoCapture_20230626-114649.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230626-114649.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Looks like scabs from picking and some feather plucking going on.
Check them for lice/mites.

The white spots looks like debris that has accumulated in the nooks/crannies of the comb. Pop those out and apply your cream.
If you feel you need to apply an anti-fungal cream, you can use Clotrimazole, it can be found online or at Walmart.

I used to find small tubes of clotrimazole at Dollar Tree. Target as well. Monistat and miconazole also are antifungal creams used. But I would try to clean off the white material from the comb with soap and water as recommended by Wyorp Rock.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been applying clotrimazole for 3 days so far. Their combs look less dry.

I was thinking of trying a spray for the feather loss areas on their necks. Have y'all used any of these items on areas of feather loss before?
Banixx (2.5% Hydronium Ion solution), Vetericyn+ Antimicrobial Poultry Care (Hypochlorous acid), or Veterinary Formula Antiseptic & Antifungal (Chlorhexidine Gluconate)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been applying clotrimazole for 3 days so far. Their combs look less dry.

I was thinking of trying a spray for the feather loss areas on their necks. Have y'all used any of these items on areas of feather loss before?
Banixx (2.5% Hydronium Ion solution), Vetericyn+ Antimicrobial Poultry Care (Hypochlorous acid), or Veterinary Formula Antiseptic & Antifungal (Chlorhexidine Gluconate)
I don't see how antiseptics will prevent feather loss due to picking.

Look them over for lice/mites to be sure they aren't aggressively grooming one another of bugs which will damage the feathers.

I see broken feathers and plucked out places. Sometimes this is just a bad habit from one member of the flock. Observe them to see if space is tight and they are getting on each other's nerves or if the picking is occurring while roosting.

If one hen is doing all the plucking, then pinless peepers may be one solution.
But watch to see if she's just plucking or is she eating feathers too - if eating feathers, increase her protein intake to see if that makes a difference.

I don't see how antiseptics will prevent feather loss due to picking.

Look them over for lice/mites to be sure they aren't aggressively grooming one another of bugs which will damage the feathers.

I see broken feathers and plucked out places. Sometimes this is just a bad habit from one member of the flock. Observe them to see if space is tight and they are getting on each other's nerves or if the picking is occurring while roosting.

If one hen is doing all the plucking, then pinless peepers may be one solution.
But watch to see if she's just plucking or is she eating feathers too - if eating feathers, increase her protein intake to see if that makes a difference.
Thank you!

I'll up their protein to 20% and see if that helps. I have had them on 18% Nutrena Hearty Hen.

They are relatively peaceful unless arguing over treats when I bring them, but I'll watch them roost tonight as well. They have access to 2 acres during the day but roost in a coop at night.

I've been looking them over for mites (vent, face, & under wings) each night this week, but I haven't seen any bugs or eggs on them. Would it hurt to treat them with ivermectin even if I don't see any mites?

18% feed should be pretty good, but see if giving 20% makes any difference.

Sometimes picking/plucking can just be a bad habit.

I would not treat with Ivermectin unless you see mites.

Permethrin based poultry dust or sprays are more commonly used to combat lice and mites on the birds and in their housing. There is no withdrawal period when used according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Back
Top Bottom