Are these two statements related? I've always found picking to almost always be stress related.
One of my birds was plucking and eating feathers at 6months old. She would snatch them from the others behinds. After isolating her twice and her going back to the habit, I permanently separated her along with another troublemaker. It seems like the other birds picked up the habit and at times I see some of them sucking back fallen feathers like noodles. I haven’t seen them pick at their faces however, it may be happening at night. My Easter Eggers are under a year old and they all seem prone to stress while in their runs. My area is a hotspot for eagles and hawks so free ranging can only happen when I’m around to supervise, I do believe these birds have reacted poorly to their enclosures despite having decent space, poles, and hanging treats.

One of my birds was plucking and eating feathers at 6months old. She would snatch them from the others behinds. After isolating her twice and her going back to the habit, I permanently separated her along with another troublemaker. It seems like the other birds picked up the habit and at times I see some of them sucking back fallen feathers like noodles. I haven’t seen them pick at their faces however, it may be happening at night. My Easter Eggers are under a year old and they all seem prone to stress while in their runs. My area is a hotspot for eagles and hawks so free ranging can only happen when I’m around to supervise, I do believe these birds have reacted poorly to their enclosures despite having decent space, poles, and hanging treats.
Shoot. Thank you for the info and transparency.

We have been very blessed as to
Not really have had a big problem with predators here, but I know their existence promotes stress.

I don't have anything of value to add here, but I hope you are able to figure this out. Seems like you really care for them (and they have excellent names by the way).

Anyone here know if something like feather eating is like egg eating? Where it becomes habitual? Or is it giving them a nutrient that they may be lacking otherwise?

Only other thing you can do is try pinless peepers. If they wear them for a while this can deter the behavior. Or not, depending on the chicken. I have a bully chicken who won't wear them. As soon as I get another egg layer, I'm rehoming her, then the rest will wear pinless peepers for a month or two to see if we can eliminate the feather picking/pecking on the roost.

Also I plan to change the geometry and size of the roost to give more room and more limited access to neighbors.

Also can try pine tar to put on the spots where they pick feathers from, or no pick lotion or maybe NuStock. To make the behavior unappealing.

My flock lives in a covered run year round (no coop) due to predators and weather (really hot and humid here). They need a minimum of 15 sq ft per chicken, and plenty of run clutter and roosts to break up line of sight. Dual waterers and feeders also, so everyone gets enough to eat. The predators will come and dig on the apron, and stare at the chickens at night. They can't get through but it still stresses the chickens.

Shoot. Thank you for the info and transparency.

We have been very blessed as to
Not really have had a big problem with predators here, but I know their existence promotes stress.

I don't have anything of value to add here, but I hope you are able to figure this out. Seems like you really care for them (and they have excellent names by the way).

Anyone here know if something like feather eating is like egg eating? Where it becomes habitual? Or is it giving them a nutrient that they may be lacking otherwise?
Thank you for the well wishes! I do care about these birds so much, I’ve never had to deal with anything like this. Learning new things like this is the worst.

The feather eating is definitely a form cannibalism, it can be caused by a protein deficiency, boredom, or hereditary.
I call my feather eater a certified psycho. A convict even. High risk of reoffending.
She roosts with another hen friend who is an outcast from the rest. She was on a diet of high protein chick feed for a month this winter. I don’t see her go after the other flock when they free range but I wouldn’t trust her not to if kept in confines with them.
She’s some lucky she’s really cute.

Yes, feather picking can happen from feeding less than 16% protein in a balanced chicken feed. 20% protein all flock feed may help. Always provide crushed oyster shell if not using layer feed. Too many treats or scraps can dilute protein in the diet. Boredom, too much light inside the coop or laying area, and more aggressive breeds can add to the possibility. Some try pinless peepers on the bully, to keep her from seeing her target.

I agree that Nustock horse cream can be used for fungus or favus, as well as picking. Pine tar is healing and can help with picking. When picking has been going on for awhile, it can become habit forming and spread around to others. Even getting outside some each day can help.

Back
Top Bottom