POD

Chirping
Aug 16, 2022
Canada
Feeling overwhelmed, my whole flock is affected by scaly skin on their combs and faces. Some of them have now lost feathers and their scalps have thickened.

I want to know if anyone can give me a second opinion on the photos I will attach.
Has anyone treated favus successfully? How long did the treatment take and what worked for you? What does your bird look like now having survived this?
Is this even favus!?

Treatment with Miconazole Nitrate 2% since last Sunday, I missed two days of treatment however and the next day things seemed to be even worse.
I’ve washed their faces with a dexidin and water mixture.
They are all dusting every day and I’m unsure if this is helping, hindering the medication, or spreading it around worse.
I first noticed their combs looking dry, and had overlooked it. The miconazole has helped some of the birds but others are suffering worse.

I treated their combs the first couple of days because that was the only areas affected with traces of white stuff and dry looking skin, but rapidly any other exposed skin that I haven’t treated became affected. Such as the area between their eye and nare, eyebrows, cheeks, behind the comb, ect.

This is hell seeing my flock of 11 birds in such conditions.
I brought home a bird with a broken leg at the beginning of April to help a friend out, and it has brought me nothing but trouble despite isolating that bird. She had to be culled because her leg only got worse and now I’m devastated by what I believe is favus.

Please share your stories and advice.

All attached photos are from this morning prior to cleaning and treatment (with the exception of the picture of Fig.)
Some of my birds were missing beards prior to this. I have been dealing with a lot this winter and spring and the battles feel endless.

282A856C-D647-4EFB-A966-F32DB716DECC.jpeg
3E98FB05-D966-4065-9186-A7CE36E596ED.jpeg
CB7C6B09-FE10-47CB-A411-799EFBAA270E.jpeg

This is Tusk and she is suffering the worst. The back of her head has thickened and her face is scaling badly. I smear the Miconazole all through the back of her head to try to stop the spread of this horrible stuff.

2C8CA494-591C-4C0C-B1AB-E83132A8BD52.jpeg
C5754BF9-1336-4230-9E22-D10E0B49AEA6.jpeg

Yukako has lost feathers behind her comb. She always had big angry eyebrows but I believe the area behind her eye looks thickened and swollen

D2F5E2C2-2B87-49AD-AB89-542EAAA52C52.jpeg
82FC025E-3235-4ABA-B6AE-396BEC6B4C78.jpeg

Kujo, always a baldy for no identifiable reason, but now looking worse. She has no sign of anything last week. I treated her as a preventative measure and then it started…

E855D806-1DA5-4F62-A19E-7A03E39F20B9.jpeg

My sweet Kikyō is almost 6, I absolutely despise that this is happening to her.

A9A86282-C8A6-45D7-A454-1BB19497821C.jpeg

Fig’s little comb has been staying clear but now her cheeks and neck has flakes and scabs. I took this photo after wiping her down.

F642D59F-5D97-46E7-A724-8773929DE45F.jpeg

Cheeks, who is missing the feathery cheeks I named her after because of bullying. She is not so badly affected but her face is looking swollen to me.

4D11DE64-FDAB-4F4C-AADC-77250039B5DB.jpeg

Dagmar looking horrible. She has been broody for a month and just snapped out of it a couple days ago.

958D2885-E928-4AEA-A1FA-9BEBE92A85E7.jpeg

Nausicaä had white traces on her comb and her tiny wattles but seems to be resisting the spread. Her comb is very textured, bumpy, I don’t recall what it used to feel like. She was dust bathing this morning and the dirt really sticks in the rough texture of her comb.

And that’s my story. Any replies are appreciated.

Attachments

• 274E5258-17AF-4EDB-A19E-3B60E0A5846D.jpeg
    274E5258-17AF-4EDB-A19E-3B60E0A5846D.jpeg
    590.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1AF1B793-02D4-47A7-A69F-0AA9E5B7CD5E.jpeg
    1AF1B793-02D4-47A7-A69F-0AA9E5B7CD5E.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 6
Here are some pictures of the bird I brought home.
I noticed her comb was dry looking but believed it was because she had just spent a month inside someone’s house while healing her broken leg.
I could not help her unfortunately. She was very sweet...
Please take note of her comb condition.
E37AB248-1F61-4A14-AF26-BA029D8060F5.jpeg
E8936BE9-9DF1-43D3-80DD-FFEC3F97364D.jpeg
EBE31F6A-0F6E-4E9C-94CA-7A35088A8517.jpeg
C9BD3AAA-EB3D-4157-A91F-C311938FCAA9.jpeg
4FAB887A-E438-41B8-ADB0-EB475A105A73.jpeg

Rest in Peace Daisy…

I haven't personally had to treat favus, but know it can be very stubborn. I saw a case study that had success with miconazole nitrate 2% but they cleaned and treated every bird twice a day for a month, which would be quite time consuming. I've also seen treatments using povidone iodine once a day, which might be worth a try, though I don't recommend using it too close to the eyes. As for the dust bathing, I'd guess that it's leaving fungal spores in the dirt which will then be floating around for months waiting to infect something. If possible it might help to keep them confined to an area that's either easy to clean once they are better or that you can block off later.

Sorry you and your whole flock are dealing with this. Hopefully things will start improving soon.

Can you take your worst infected chicken to a vet and have them scrap a skin sample to determine exactly what you're dealing with?
I've dealt with Favus years ago and the Miconazole cleared it up in about 10 days. I caught it early and isolated the hen away from the flock.
It's possible you might have something else going on with some of your birds besides favus, possibly scaly face mites. A scraped skin sample will tell. Treatment for scaly face mites is Ivermectin pour on.

I haven't personally had to treat favus, but know it can be very stubborn. I saw a case study that had success with miconazole nitrate 2% but they cleaned and treated every bird twice a day for a month, which would be quite time consuming. I've also seen treatments using povidone iodine once a day, which might be worth a try, though I don't recommend using it too close to the eyes. As for the dust bathing, I'd guess that it's leaving fungal spores in the dirt which will then be floating around for months waiting to infect something. If possible it might help to keep them confined to an area that's either easy to clean once they are better or that you can block off later.

Sorry you and your whole flock are dealing with this. Hopefully things will start improving soon.
Thank you for your reply! I was afraid the dust baths were reinfecting them, I’m using peat moss, diatomaceous earth, and some sulphur powder in the bath, they love it and it keeps them happy when I can’t be there to let them free range but perhaps I should remove the baths…
I do have iodine, I wasn’t sure if I should apply it to the worst affected hens before using the miconazole. I doubt everything I do now that this has happened.
Thanks again!

Can you take your worst infected chicken to a vet and have them scrap a skin sample to determine exactly what you're dealing with?
I've dealt with Favus years ago and the Miconazole cleared it up in about 10 days. I caught it early and isolated the hen away from the flock.
It's possible you might have something else going on with some of your birds besides favus, possibly scaly face mites. A scraped skin sample will tell. Treatment for scaly face mites is Ivermectin pour on.
I think my next step is the vet if I don’t see things improving with double daily treatments of miconazole this week. I was wondering about face mites as well. The feather loss is very alarming. Thank you for your reply!

You may well have some favus, but I wonder if some of the feather loss is from feather picking. Chickens in winter during low light days and when molting or not laying, can have dry scaly and flaky skin. A regular vet should have the capability of doing a skin scraping. Favus is contagious, but it seems excessive for so many to be affected. Besides miconazole, clotrimazole can treat fungus. I have also use povidone iodine on a dog’s face with a fungal lesion from digging in soil. If treating for face mites, be sure to use ivermectin twice at 14 day intervals. Vaseline or petrolatum will smother face mites as well.

You may well have some favus, but I wonder if some of the feather loss is from feather picking. Chickens in winter during low light days and when molting or not laying, can have dry scaly and flaky skin. A regular vet should have the capability of doing a skin scraping. Favus is contagious, but it seems excessive for so many to be affected. Besides miconazole, clotrimazole can treat fungus. I have also use povidone iodine on a dog’s face with a fungal lesion from digging in soil. If treating for face mites, be sure to use ivermectin twice at 14 day intervals. Vaseline or petrolatum will smother face mites as well.
Thank you for this advice! I definitely have had a problem with feather picking and bullying, but they were ripping the feathers out of their bums, I separated those two. My Easter Eggers all had beautiful beards a couple months ago…

Might also look at using NuStock. It can help with skin conditions and mites. I used it for scaly leg mites, and it was more effective than vaseline. Also has a moisturizing effect. Don't know how easy it is to use around eyes though.

Back
Top Bottom