Please help with racoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a local lab report:

Ascarid (roundworm) migration was the cause of a sudden onset of neurological signs-head tilt, and left side paralysis of a six week old chicken. A large granularnatous lesions were also seen in the lungs. The submitting veterinarian indicated the owner had a problem with raccoons. Baylsacaris procyonis is a ubiquitous roundworm in raccoons and when the roundworm egg is ingested by other hosts (including children), larvae develop from eggs and migrate through the internal organs, frequently penetrating the brain. Keeping chickens, children and other animals away from raccoon fecal material is extremely important.

How do you deter racoos
A good size dog on the premises helps. Traps & 22 or larger rounds, provided one has been trained in the safe use of firearms are the most efficient. There are some products that come in the form of sprays and granules that are supposed to repel them also. I think those are a waste of money in the long run.

So is what they say in the red fern grows...if you bore a hole in a log drop in something shiney and drive nails so that when he grabs the shiney object he can't remove his hand because he wont let go of it?

have u tryed a cat trap with bait but make sure u find the babies and take them to a shelter

Last edited:
A good size dog on the premises helps. Traps & 22 or larger rounds, provided one has been trained in the safe use of firearms are the most efficient. There are some products that come in the form of sprays and granules that are supposed to repel them also. I think those are a waste of money in the long run.
Yep that is what we use here but we have a lot of land for these dogs to roam so they can be unrestricted to do their job.

They also take care of other critters that happen to get into the safe zone

This is my herder but she doubles as a flusher dog and she can catch a fox.

This is Buddy he turned out to be a fabulous LGD , he is half pit bull, and anatolian and Pyrenees mix, he works on a farm of his own now.

even stray birds get run off when the birds here pitch a fit.

Snakes are a no-no when it come to the birds here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom