Please HELP! Young Silkie injured!

You should be able to feel the tube as it slides down the right side of his throat into his crop. Make sure the edges of the tube are smooth enough... some people hold a lighter to the end and melt it a little. Make sense?

-Kathy

I didn't really feel it, but after I sweezed the "syringe" his crop felt bigger. I'm going to leave him alone now...

I gave him some more food. It was a mixture of electrolyte water, goat yogurt and a tiny bit of honey. Hopefully he starts getting stronger soon.

Poor little Silkie guy; he looks pitiful. You said his wound was already scabbed over when you checked it? I wonder if it has been there for a while and has been pecked by the other chickens. It is good that he is drinking some. Try to see if he will eat any scrambled eggs. Offer small amounts at a time to get an idea if he is eating any of it. Do you know if there are any treats that he is used to? You could offer a small amount of a treat with the scrambled egg to encourage him.

I have used human eye saline to rinse a chicken eye. I even read that you can use Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment in the eye (the type without the pain relief ingredient) I used the petroleum jelly based ointment generic equivalent to Neosporin in one of my roosters eyes that was swollen and showed signs of infection and his eye did get better. The prescription antibiotic ointments are petroleum jelly based, and some have the same active ingredients, but I suppose they are super purified.
Yes, when I found him his wounds were already dry and scabbed over. So I don't know how long he was out there.

Quote: Thank you for everything. Please don't lose anymore sleep over it though because I'm losing sleep over it and so there can't be more then one person losing sleep! lol.
I think he might get better, but now he can't walk.....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom