Please HELP !

Dresden

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
I have not been able to get out to my chickens for a couple of days due to sickness and my husband had been going out and doing their feed and water. When I went out today I noticed one of my 5 month old Polish hens, trying to stay away from the others and that they were chasing her, she flew up onto my shoulder to get her treats and I noticed a smell coming from her. When I got her onto my arm I was shocked with what I found. I rushed her inside and she was given a soak in the sink so we could see what was going on with her. This is a picture after a bath and dry. What has happened? has she been pecked badly? She has a wound on her head as well. One of my 5 month old chickens has started laying and the first egg had a little blood on it. I have to wonder if she bled a little and the other girls attacked her for it? She is separated from them right now until we know what we should do. Please advise.

Most likely pecked, The reason could be illness, boredom of the others and she is bottom of pecking order. You will have to make sure she is healed and or maybe have blu-kote on her before she goes back in. What is your weather? Are you in cold or warm area? That may give you a clue.

We are in north west, it has been cold here, the last couple of nights it has been down to 10f . We are intergrating the 5 month old chickens with our older year old hens, the you gets have been able to get away from the older hens if they needed into a separate area. Out of the younger birds this one always had a cockerel around her up until 2 weeks ago , when he went to live on a farm. She was the top hen until then. I noticed one of the other 5 month old silkies were pecking at her today. Is there anything we can do this help her heal?

We have her separated from the other girls, and she has her own hot water bottle to sit on. We will head out to the farm store tomorrow to get some Vetericyn . Thank you for the advice

Is this her back and vent?
The yellow I'm seeing, is this poop or ointment?

I agree with @duluthralphie you can use bag balm, vetericyn or neosporin on the wound.

I would keep her separated until she has done some healing. Add some poultry vitamins to her water and offer some extra protein like egg or tuna.

That's the remains of poop after her bath. And yes that's her vent and under her tail feathers, it looks as though her belly has lost feathers as well

Back
Top Bottom