Please HELP !

Keep watch on her for sure.

Hopefully she will heal just fine. If the vent seems a bit swollen, you can soak her in an epsom salts bath, dry her well and apply a small amount of hemorrhoid cream.
Watch of any signs of infection - pus, odors or oozing.

Keep us posted..

Went out this morning to check on her, and noticed the other Polish we have was missing a few tail feathers, we checked her and again she has been pecked but not nearly as bad as the first one, Looks like we caught it early this time. The only other hen I saw pecking at the Polish has been a Silkie which has been raised with the Polish. The older hens do not seem to care about the younger ones. Im not sure what to do about the silkie that is pecking the polish hens

its been 5 days since I last posted , the second hen that was pecked is doing alot better, but the first one I posted about does not seam to be showing much progress. I have been bathing her and applying neosporin , Her vent is getting clogged, I have had to unplug it a few times, and after each bath she makes huge poopies. But her vent looks to be so small now , it is a effort for her to even poop, and as soon as she did , she started bleeding .

Even if she makes it through this and heals, do you think she is going to be able to lay a egg with her vent being the way it is.

The first picture is with the flash and the second is without. The flash makes it looks alot worse.

its been 5 days since I last posted , the second hen that was pecked is doing alot better, but the first one I posted about does not seam to be showing much progress. I have been bathing her and applying neosporin , Her vent is getting clogged, I have had to unplug it a few times, and after each bath she makes huge poopies. But her vent looks to be so small now , it is a effort for her to even poop, and as soon as she did , she started bleeding .

Even if she makes it through this and heals, do you think she is going to be able to lay a egg with her vent being the way it is.
It does look like it is healing, you've done a good job taking care of her.

The photos show it a bit more clearer than the original photo. It looks like her vent was ripped/damaged.

Am I reading your description correctly, that even when she poops now, that she starts bleeding? If this is the case, she may need more time to heal, but it can also be an indication of things to come when she starts to lay eggs, she may have problems expelling the egg or become egg bound. There really is no way to know at this point.

The only thing I can suggest is that she stays well hydrated, you can also offer wet feed and limit treats to see if this helps with her pooping.

I wish I had better answers.

Last edited:
Omg!She looks better from the first photo. I hope that she is able to lay and be left alone from the others. I would suggest using something like a laxative for chickens. I don't know the name of the product but it should soften her droppings and hopefully reduce the amount of blood. I hope for the best! Good luck!

Husband went out this morning and had to clear her vent again as it was clogged up with poop. I am going to give her another bath today, it seems to help her, she relaxes and normally poops when its done. But we are starting to think about what is going to be best for her, as she is bleeding every time she poops, and we are just not sure how she will ever lay a egg. I want to bring her in and let her relax in the warm and just be away from the other one that was pecked but healing. Hubby says she would get too used to being in the heat and would have a hard time being put back out in the coop after a day or two. I am torn on what to do. I don't want to give up on her too early, but I want to do whats best for her, and don't want to see her suffering. She was cuddled up making a slow whiny noise earlier. I don't know what to do =(

I'd recommend giving her a warm bath to wash her and let her relax one last time before being put back out. It does seem cold over there so mabye you should introduce her to out a little at a time. If not I'm sure she'll heal just fine as long as you keep an eye out to make sure the others don't peck her anymore. Good luck. Keep us posted.

She managed to poop without tearing tonight, so that's a good sign. Here is her post bath cuddle. it was for half a hour tonight and she fell asleep after being dried lol.

What a sweet photo
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom