Please Help

scubastasia

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Hi Friends,

Got home today and my two houdans have large bare spots on their nicks. I have separated them from the others, is this pecking? What can I put on the bare spots?
[/IMG]

It looks like it might be picking, or maybe a parasite infestation. Are any of the others showing any signs of this?

You can try spraying Blue Kote on their necks. That will help to heal them and to cover the bald, picked spots. If they are being picked at and the Blu-Kote doesn't help, you may have to separate them until they heal up. Good luck!

Hi Peeps61, no one else has symptoms, just these two and they are the lightest of the bunch. I spotted a Sumatra pulling out one of my dominiques feathers so she's in chick jail right now. Hoping she will be nicer tomorrow. Thanks for the advice the houdans have some blu kote on them now.
1f44d-1f3fc.png

Hi Peeps61, no one else has symptoms, just these two and they are the lightest of the bunch. I spotted a Sumatra pulling out one of my dominiques feathers so she's in chick jail right now. Hoping she will be nicer tomorrow. Thanks for the advice the houdans have some blu kote on them now.
1f44d-1f3fc.png

Great! It sounds like picking then. Keep us updated on how things are going. You may want to keep the Sumatra in chick jail for at least a week so she loses her spot in the pecking order. She may not be so eager to pluck feathers from her flockmates then.

Thank you for the advice. She'll be in chick jail for a bit longer. The houdans are doing better today, they were very scared yesterday but as of now it seems they will make a full recovery. Thanks again!

Hi Friends! I returned the houdans to the brooder today and everyone started pecking at them immediately. They seem fascinated with their white and black "spots"and their top hats. They have some toys, treats, and other things to do but fixated on the Houdans spots. Any suggestions or should I just keep them separated until their bigger and outisde? Also, the Houdans didn't even fight back they just stood there like bing bongs while everyone was pecking them.

You can try to diffuse the attraction of the Houdans' different appearance by introducing something that is of equal appearance and attraction. Get creative. Look around the house and garage and see what resembles the Houdans. You might even be able to make something.

Badminton cocks come to mind. A couple of small feather dusters. You get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom