Please help!

Chikenbutwut

Songster
7 Years
Jan 3, 2013
Benton, KY
It iced over here, then snowed, then rained and the temps dropped, so more ice. We did all we could to keep the canopy that covers our run clear, but the load was just too much for it (hubby says it was suppose to be able to hold more of a load than that...guess the manufacturers were wrong). We bought a new one we're going to use, as the load busted the frame on the other one, until the weather gets better and we can get out there and build a permanent roof, since that seems to be the best route. We thought if we heard more bad weather was coming, we'd just take down the canopy and leave our girls in the coop until it stopped snowing or whatever (like icing up), then put the canopy back up when it was over and let the girls out of the coop.

We have bantams and have had to keep them cooped up for a week, as, like I said, we have snow on top of ice and ice on top of snow and due to that, haven't been able to get the new canopy put up just yet. We built a new, larger coop a little while back, so there's plenty of room for them. I tried to keep them occupied with treats and whatnot, since they've had to be kept in the coop. Though this is the first time they've ever been cooped up, other than at night (which they are every night and until we get out there in the morning to let them out), everyone was looking and acting fine.

My RIR was perky and her usual nosy self, investigating everything I was putting in the coop and acting fine. I visually noticed absolutely nothing wrong with her. Even my neighbor's little boy, who gets a kick out of helping me collect eggs (as does my daughter) was petting on her and I saw nothing. I was petting on her myself and everything seemed okay. 3 days later my husband went to feed and water the chickens that morning and she was dead. There was no blood, no signs of anything wrong on her body, no nothing, so it was a total mystery to us. We have a heat lamp in the coop, though I don't like them, but the weather has been really wacky lately. 50 degrees one week, and freezing temps the next week. It recently turned unusually cold, so we put the lamp on to keep the water from freezing in the coop. Anyway, the water was not frozen, so I know she didn't die from the cold. Besides, I've always been under the understanding that RIR's can take the cold. Her dying broke our hearts, as she was our favorite.

Well, today my husband went out to feed, water and check the girls over, as we've been worried since our RIR died. We usually check the girls over to be sure everything is fine anyway. He came in the house with two of my Wyandottes, one being the top of the pecking order, and their vents were poking out, which I thought may be prolapsed vents. I got the gloves and some KY Jelly and gently pushed them back in. This has happened with one of the Wyandottes before, but after pushing it back in, all was fine after. Today I pushed them back in, but if they started flapping around, it would pop back out again.

One of those Wyandottes keel area is almost bare too. I know the pecking order is now out of whack since my RIR died, but I would figure if the other hens were picking at her, it would be on top of her body somewhere, not underneath. With the cold, I worry about her being outside with that area bare, so I've got her inside in a crate. I put Pick-No-More Lotion on the area, which is kind of like Blue Kote.

Then he brings in my Barred Rock. She had a red lump that doesn't seem to be a prolapse, but instead very close to her vent. It may be part of it though. She also had a very poopy butt, so the first thing that came to mind was vent gleet, but there is no bad smell. She didn't like me messing around in that area though and she's usually a very calm chicken.

It seems, after doing some research, that having all three hens inside is the best route to take. From what I understand, they should be in a semi-dark crate, which one is already. The messy butt Barred Rock with the lump should be soaked in Epsom Salts and honey should be used to help shrink the prolapse. I'll do the same with the other girls if their vents keep prolapsing. All of them should have hemorrhoid ointment used inside and out, vitamins and electrolytes should be used. Should ACV with the mother and garlic be used too? Should I worm my chickens and if so, what kind? I've heard that it depends on your area which kind you use. I live in western KY...an area that usually gets a lot of rain in the spring and winter, but for the snow we get every now and then...and at times get hit with ice storms, and very humid summers. I've heard the soil depends on it too...we have mainly clay soil and with all the rain, it's muddy a lot, though I'm putting sand in my run this spring. I have Wazine 17 that was suggested to me by my local Co-op, but I now know it's just for large round worms.

They are not egg bound and their crops are fine. No mites or lice.

Why is this suddenly happening with 3 of these girls...two of which have never had a prolapsed vent? Could it be stress from being cooped up, as this is the first time they've ever been cooped up this long?

If it's stress from being cooped up, though we're going to have to chip through ice...bad backs or not (I have bone spurs on my spine, more bone spurs on two already spurred disks, two narrowed disks and two bulging disks...and hubby has torn fascia) my husband and I are going out there today and getting that canopy up, even if it means taking more pain pills than usual, as my hens come first IMO.

I can try to provide pictures if you guys need them.

Sorry about all the problems you are having and the loss of your RIR girl.
It would probably help to have pictures for people to help figure out what is going on, especially if the girls seem to have different things.
Vent picking is pretty common in bored birds, and might be part of what is going on, and once they start it often seems to become a flock wide habit. If you do think that is what is happening, you might want to put pinless peepers on the girls until they can get out more.
Has there been any change in their feed/ calcium available? Prolapses are often due to oversize eggs in bantams?

Thank you about my RIR. We really miss her.

No change in feed and yep, they always have calcium available and I've not seen any oversized eggs.

I did all I could think of to keep them from being bored, but I guess a week in the coop was just too much for them, as, like I said, they've never had to be kept in the coop like this before. I had no clue that boredom would cause vent picking so thank you very much for letting me know.

Hubby is putting the new canopy on the run right now so they can get out of the coop.

One of the Wyandottes vent is back in and has stayed in, so seems she's doing fine. I'll be keeping a close eye on her though. I was going to treat the Barred Rock (have to go pick up stuff for it, but I have to wait until my daughter gets home from school, which is in less than an hour)...cleaning up her bum and doing all I mentioned and keep her in the house tonight. What about the Wyandotte whose keel area is plucked bald? Will she be okay out in the cold or should I keep her in? She's in the house right now, as her prolapse keeps popping back out if she gets to moving around too much, so I thought it would be best to keep her the crate she's in so she can rest, and I can check to see if she's fairing better tomorrow (that is if it's okay to let her out in the cold with a bald keel area).

I'll need hubby's help to get pics, but he's busy with the canopy right now, so I'll provide pics ASAP.

Thanks for your advice!
smile.png

Last edited:
Finally I get to sit down and respond, though it's quite late, but it's been one of those crazy busy days.

Well, the Wyandotte whose prolapse went back in and stayed in, laid an egg a couple of hours later. She was being checked on again and just happened to lay the egg then. No repeat prolapse and seems fine for now.

The Wyandotte with the bald keel area is doing better too...no repeat prolapse with her either.

When we got back home with some of the stuff we didn't have on hand, the Barred Rock's bum already looked better, as hers was the worst looking (didn't even look raw like it did before, so it's pretty obvious she was being picked at). She seemed quite calmed by her bath and blow dry.

We used some hemorrhoid lotion on and in vents. After that the Barred Rock pooped and it prolapsed again, so it was pushed back in and more hemorrhoid lotion was used again. Used a product like Vetericyn (the Vetericyn is crazy expensive!...the stuff we bought is just as good and half the price) and then put some honey on vents. The red lump is now gone on the Barred Rock. It could've been part of the prolapse, but is no longer there like it was (and wasn't when we got home either).

They're are getting electrolytes and vitamins. Using probiotics that you put in their water too.

Got the girls a new treat dispenser toy, so hopefully they'll use it and that will help with all the other boredom busters I use. Since they're nuts for dried meal worms, I'll try those in it.

The canopy is on the run and the girls were let out, but promptly went right back in the coop, though hubby had shoveled out almost all of the snow and today was warmer than it has been. He even put shavings down thick in part of the run where the snow was cleared and it was just muddy, but nope, they weren't having it. They usually never care about mud, so go figure (though I'll be so glad to get the sand in the run this spring).

I'm still wondering what to do about the Wyandotte with the bare keel area, as she hasn't any feathers in that area at all to keep her warm. Can someone please give me some advice on that?

Back
Top Bottom