Please help! :)

If they get too hot, they will be all spread out apart from each other, they will hold their wings out away from their bodies, and sometimes they will start panting. You know they are at the right temp for them if they are happily moving around, not all huddled up with each other (too cold), or all spread out around the edges and trying to avoid each other (too hot). Also, check their vents daily for pasty butt. Enjoy the little fluff balls, they grow fast.

Good to know, thank you!

I have to say, this is my first time joining a forum and I have definitely chosen the right one! You've all been so helpful and I feel much more confident in what I'm doing! Thank you everybody! :)
woot.gif

So this is my set up! They're in here for most of the day, but if I leave or it's time to sleep, they go back into their tote. The paper towels are working great! Boy do they poop a lot! Haha, I clean that thing out like 3 or 4 times a day. They seem to be very happy and comfy. :) the temp under the lamp is about 84, and I have a window open so the rest of the room is a little cooler. What is the lowest temp they can be in? I woke up yesterday and the temp in the tote was 73. The light must have been moved. They were fine, no shivering or anything, but it did worry me a little!

They're around two weeks old now? Heat is not going to be a crucial issue during the day from here on since it's summer, and most days are warm enough, little or no heat is necessary except as it cools off toward the end of the day and at night.

Your playpen setup is brilliant! I'm sure the chicks are grateful for all that space in which to romp! Do you have a coop and run almost ready for them? It would be great if you could introduce them to the outdoor, and they would handle temps as low as 75 with no cool breezes, with no problem.

When I used to take my chicks for "field trips" outdoors, I'd pack them in a cat carrier and place it inside the run, open the door of the crate and let them come out when they were ready. Then if they cooled down enough to start getting uncomfortable, they would let me know by crawling back into their crate and huddling together. Nothing could be simpler!

There's no such thing as getting them outdoors too soon. Chicks that aren't coddled feather out quicker and better and make the transition from brooder to coop much more easily and quickly.

Another flooring option is to purchase shelf liner...the grippy one that looks kind of like a waffle. You can lay it right over the newspaper and it is a rubber type substance and you can just take it out and wash it off when you are cleaning and changing out the newspaper underneath. We purchased ours from Lowe's and it was inexpensive...enough for 40 sq ft for $15.

Thank you! I've actually stopped using the tote about 3 days ago, it just seemed too small for them. I love the playpen! I can sit in there with them and it's great! My little Dominique (Willow) seems to be the sweetest so far, she always comes up to greet me and loves to sleep in my hands. :) They are 9 days old now and it's been pretty hot here. The room is in the mid 80's most of the time, so I've had the window open. I also have a fan set up at one side of the pen. It does not blow directly on them, but it if they are hot they can go to that side and cool off with a nice subtle warm breeze. I've turned the heat lamp off (it just made it too hot in there) I can't really figure out what else to do to cool the room off. Ideally, I wanted to have the lighted warm spot, and then a cooler spot for them to go if needed, but with this weather I just can't make that work so I've been monitoring them and the pen temp closely and making sure they never run out of water!

We're working hard to get the coop and run all set up! I'd say in the next week or two hopefully! I do want to start taking them on outdoor field trips! I'll just have to find the right way to do it and keep them safe. :)

Thanks for the shelf liner tip! The paper towels are getting pretty expensive, since the chickys are inside I want to make sure I keep it as clean as I can! :)

Last edited:
Thank you! I've actually stopped using the tote about 3 days ago, it just seemed too small for them. I love the playpen! I can sit in there with them and it's great! My little Dominique (Willow) seems to be the sweetest, she always comes up to greet me and loves to sleep in my hands. :) They are 9 days old now and it's been pretty hot here. The room is in the mid 80's most of the time, so I've had the window open. I also have a fan set up at one side of the pen. It does not blow directly on them, but it if they are hot they can go to that side and cool off with a nice subtle warm breeze. I've turned the heat lamp off (it just made it too hot in there) I can't really figure out what else to do to cool the room off. Ideally, I wanted to have the lighted warm spot, and then a cooler spot for them to go if needed, but with this weather I just can't make that work so I've been monitoring them and the pen temp closely and making sure they never run out of water!

We're working hard to get the coop and run all set up! I'd say in the next week or two hopefully! I do want to start taking them on outdoor field trips! I'll just have to find the right way to do it and keep them safe. :)

Thanks for the shelf liner tip! The paper towels are getting pretty expensive, since the chickys are inside I want to make sure I keep it as clean as I can! :)
If it's really that warm where you live, you could just move them outside to their coop and provide a heat source for cool nights.

I used the grip shelf liner in my brooders, cut to size. I rotated them, washed them & put them outside to dry on the fence. They are ready for my next batch of chicks. I'm thinking of using the mama brooder next time, I've read the entire thread & it looks like the way to go for me
1f44d.png

You know what's even cheaper than the plastic shelf liner and works just as well, and wipes clean with a damp rag? Glad Press 'n Seal. I roll out about three or four squares of paper towel and stick the Press 'n Seal onto the toweling. Then the toweling is laid down plastic side up. I have it in my chicks heating pad cave, stuck on a sleep pad, and in the morning I just brush the turds off. Wet ones just wipe clean with a damp rag.

It will stretch your paper towels a bunch longer! Then just toss them when you're done with this stage. I use the Press 'n Seal stuck onto paper towels for my disabled hen to sleep on since she can't roost and she poops at night. With her I use it plastic side down to keep her nesting material from getting soiled and wet and stinking while the paper towels absorb the moisture. It's great stuff!

another good option is cloroplast home depot has it. I used that stuff and took pieces and joined them. u can score them and fold them plus they are water proof. I used to lay pine shavings and paper towels over it was so easy to clean up since it all wiped out and if u score it and make a side of a couple inches u can pick it up, pour it out and hose the stuff down. dry it and put it back..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom