Please identify this suspect

give me 5 minutes, I'll have Kennedy post the picks of Fluffy!
smile.png

That's similar, but there are differences. He doesn't seem to be developing a comb or wattles much, so far. What he does have isn't even pink. It's kinda weird, actually.

He also has no black or brown on him whatsoever. Just dark red tending to buff.

I really do think I may have a Red Star pullet on my hands with a boy's name. haha

I am not thinking sex link and here is why. You are right, packing peanuts should all be male unless they make a mistake. As many roo's as I get when I order sexed pulllets, I figure they have to be making mistakes the other direction too. However, sex links are too easy and it would be quite rare, I think, to mix one of them up. My guess is RIR girly. I have seen quite a variation in the color of hatchery RIR's until they get grown.

Well, if you'd seen the other roos we got for PPs, the mixup might be pretty easy to understand. They all look like what Ideal called "production reds." Not RIRs...they were too pale, but still tended toward russet on their backs. My little chicken was a dark rusty fluffball when new, but has absolutely no black on him/her anywhere. Even the "production reds" had blackish markings on their wings when the mature feathers started coming in.

Also, the complete lack of a a real comb or wattles, when the SLW cockerel's of the same age are very obvious. I was wondering about that all along.

Here's a Red Star hen, a bit older-looking, but you can compare the pics and see the resemblance.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2582666456_5e48d589fc_o.jpg

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom