Turken hatchlings - anyone want to play "guess the mom" and/or "guess the adult color" with me?

RBFchicks

Hatching
May 25, 2023
Okay so about a month ago, my beloved Rudy the Turken rooster succumbed to his injuries after fighting off some sort of predator. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but he and one hen were missing at bedtime, couldn't find any sign of either of them anywhere, and Rudy literally hobbled in sometime early the next morning, sans hen (and sans any evidence the hen ever existed, anywhere. That's a first for us, there's usually at least SOME feathers if not a body when we've lost a couple over the years.). He had fairly extensive wounds around his shoulders, I tried my best to treat him, but he passed a couple days later. I have never had a better rooster in 20+ years of chickens, he was so sweet and just the right amount of protective of his girls. I panicked. I went on my local chicken FB group and asked if anyone had an incubator I could borrow for a month, and in exchange, I'd give them whatever extra baby naked necks hatched. Now, I know for sure that Baby #3's mom is my brown leghorn (because I only have one hen that lays white eggs, the leghorn, and the baby came out of a white egg). I have a list of breeds that I'm pretty sure are my hens - BUT I know I bought something labeled an Olive Egger who lays plain brown eggs (which could still be an Olive Egger who didn't get the right egg color genes, but also I have absolutely no clue what was mixed together to make her breed, just that she's kind of a penciled brown bird with some slightly lighter golden brown neck feathers), and I have what was labeled a Blue Giant who is only a smidge larger than my Orpingtons. So, my breed list comes with some asterisks on confidence that they are actually what they say they are.

It doesn't matter who's baby is who, I'm just curious (and a little impatient to see what they'll look like eventually), and figured I could use additional eyes with more and/or different knowledge that I have.

Rooster: unfortunately I do not have a GREAT photo of him but he came from Farm Family and therefore was a Hoover's bird. I was so hoping for those baby feathers to be a sign of his adult color but I have never been so wrong. He turned out beautifully ugly nonetheless. Deep red, his wingtips had a few feathers with dark brown to black tips, his tail was an iridescent black with that lovely green oil-slick effect in the light. Big bald neck with his "chesticle" and green/blue tinted legs. His legs were sort of green-ish with more yellow/pink toes as a chick, hard to tell in the pictures.
1685061683318.png
1685061752291.png
1685061796434.png

Hens: I know that Farm Family gets their chicks from Hoover's Hatchery. Every Orpington that I got came in on an order of English Orpington variety pack which says it'll try to send some/all of the following colors: "Silver, Blue, Chocolate, Jubilee, and Mottled" (was SO sure the black one I picked was a mottled. I was wrong). Apparently they also included black (but I think blue/black/splash share the same gene, so maybe the hatchery also thought it'd be a different color and tossed that one in? If she isn't an orp, she sure looks and acts like one!) in the mix, and the manager ordered 50 lavenders for herself, then they added two extras to the order and she let me snag those two. I just learned the term "Tail Shredder" which is a more badass way to describe one of my lavs than I have been, which is "a little electrocuted" or "permanently semi-recovered from mange". She's so ugly. I love her.

I do not know where Bowman's orders their chicks from, but based on the breeds they have available, I'm fairly confident it is not Hoover's, unless they have a secret list of breeds that Hoover's never shows as available for purchase but sells only to Bowman's. This is their chick schedule for earlier this year, on the off chance any of y'all can figure out which hatchery they order from based on that.

BreedsConfidenceEgg ColorHatchery/Farm Store
Red OrpingtonDefinitelylight brownBowman's Feed & Pet (Westminster MD)
Buff OrpingtonDefinitelylight brownBowman's Feed & Pet (Westminster MD)
Barred RockDefinitelylight brownHoover's Hatchery
Buff BrahmaDefinitelymedium brownBowman's Feed & Pet (Westminster MD)
Brown LeghornDefinitelywhiteBowman's Feed & Pet (Westminster MD)
Black Copper MaransDefinitelydark brownBowman's Feed & Pet (Westminster MD)
Black OrpingtonAlmost Definitelylight brownHoover's Hatchery
Sapphire GemProbablylight brown (slightly warmer tone)Hoover's Hatchery
Blue RockProbablylight brownBowman's Feed & Pet (Westminster MD)
Blue GiantProbablymedium brown with sometimes specklesBowman's Feed & Pet (Westminster MD)
Lavender OrpingtonProbablylight brownHoover's Hatchery
"Olive Egger"Maybemedium/light brownHoover's Hatchery

I do not have great pictures of my hens. I am happy to attempt to get better pictures if anyone needs them, but hopefully this is at least vaguely helpful in the meantime.

Babies! The doll couch provides them with something to pay attention to, poop on, and stand (somewhat) still in my photo box so I can get halfway decent pics - apologies for the dirty furniture...
Please let me know if you want another angle or anything on them! Tried to include feet, combs, and enough pictures to really see the patterns. If any wizards can tell me who they think is a rooster/hen, I have a pool with my husband on random guesses/us pretending we can be professional Chicken Sexers. Happy to add your bets - winner gets bragging rights for the rest of their lives.

1685060379174.png
1685060786896.png
1685064763028.png
1685064976565.png
1685065123698.png

Egg Colors:
1 - light to medium brown
2 - light brown, creamy
3 - white
4 - light brown
5 - medium brown egg, maybe a little darker than #1s but hard to be sure because I tossed #1's egg on Thursday afternoon and #5 didn't arrive until Monday evening.

It's hard to capture in the pictures but Baby 1 definitely has greenish feet. Leghorn baby pics mostly included for reference, Baby 1 is slightly darker/warmer toned than the leghorn baby.

My guesses for moms are:
1. Olive Egger?
2. Buff Brahma (does the naked neck gene cancel out the feather feet gene?)
3. Leghorn lol
4. Black Orpington or maybe Blue Giant?
5. Mystery chicken I don't own who's egg was somehow transplanted into my nesting box but fertilized by my rooster, despite neither of my miles-away neighbors with chickens allowing them to free-range, ever. (this is literally my best guess. This one clearly has me stumped)

Happy to hear any guesses on moms or genders, and if you say "omg my Turken looked JUST like baby #whatever" then I'd LOVE to see pics of your adult Turken. If you have no ideas on anything and just want to see Turken babes - enjoy :)

I’m so sorry you lost Rudy, he was gorgeous!

I’m not good with color genetics, so I’m only guessing that all but chick 4 will be some shade of red.

They are gorgeous and I want them all!! I am shocked that Rudy feathered out the way he did given the way he looked as a baby. But I have a lot to learn about chicken genetics., however I didn’t realize a barred baby could become not-barred as an adult.

Knowing basically nothing these are my guesses:
1. No idea
2.BCM
3. Leghorn
4. Black Orpington or maybe blue giant does it have a white dot on the head? If so maybe barred rock or blue rock. Looks very similar to my barred naked neck cockerel did when he was hatched.
5. Red Orpington

Also, chesticle 😂 my cockerel has quite the chesticle and it will forever be dubbed so moving forward. Thank you.

What color pattern does the olive egger have, and what type of comb?

1 probably brown Leghorn

2 any mostly blue or black breed, and could be the barred rock as well. Probably not the Brahma since the chick has a single comb and Brahmas have pea combs, which are genetically dominant.

3 I think you are right, Leghorn

4 any blue or black breed, including the barred rock

5 probably Leghorn but I would rule out the Red or Buff Orpington.

4. Black Orpington or maybe blue giant does it have a white dot on the head? If so maybe barred rock or blue rock. Looks very similar to my barred naked neck cockerel did when he was hatched.
No white dot for that one! Just the little white "eyeliner" spots
Also, chesticle 😂 my cockerel has quite the chesticle and it will forever be dubbed so moving forward. Thank you.
The BEST term, it cracks me up to say it every time lol
What color pattern does the olive egger have, and what type of comb?
IMG_6671.jpg

this is the one I figure is the Olive Egger by process of elimination
1 probably brown Leghorn

5 probably Leghorn but I would rule out the Red or Buff Orpington.

1 & 5 came out of brown eggs so I can safely rule out the Leghorn on those two, unfortunately. Unless she can lay brown eggs sometimes and white eggs other times, but I don't think egg color is quite that dramatic!

and as the MOST fun plot twist, my guess of "Mystery chicken I don't own" might actually be less insane, as I gained a new hen over the weekend who just showed up and decided she lives here now...so maybe she was visiting previously but decided now's the time to permanently join the flock...? No clue where she came from, my neighbors do have like 40+ chickens but they are rarely free ranging and I hadn't previously seen a hen that looks like her in their flock (but admittedly have not seen all of them or even paid all that close attention to their flock)

No white dot for that one! Just the little white "eyeliner" spots

The BEST term, it cracks me up to say it every time lol

View attachment 3533779
this is the one I figure is the Olive Egger by process of elimination

1 & 5 came out of brown eggs so I can safely rule out the Leghorn on those two, unfortunately. Unless she can lay brown eggs sometimes and white eggs other times, but I don't think egg color is quite that dramatic!

and as the MOST fun plot twist, my guess of "Mystery chicken I don't own" might actually be less insane, as I gained a new hen over the weekend who just showed up and decided she lives here now...so maybe she was visiting previously but decided now's the time to permanently join the flock...? No clue where she came from, my neighbors do have like 40+ chickens but they are rarely free ranging and I hadn't previously seen a hen that looks like her in their flock (but admittedly have not seen all of them or even paid all that close attention to their flock)
Does she lay blue or green eggs? She looks an awful lot like a partridge rock.

The comb isn't quite right, but your mystery chicken looks like a gold pencilled wyandotte. She is double laced. What colour are her legs?

Back
Top Bottom