Please learn from our mistake - Raccoon Killed our chicken

Any thoughts if a plywood board with nails through it would prevent raccoons from walking around a cage?

It won't stop anything and it's too dangerous.

Guns and traps are the only things that will keep them from coming back​

Quote:
what gage is good?

the lower the number the thicker the wire bigger is better here I have seen coons peel back wire at the corners of a pen it is a good thing to use 1X 4 or so to "finish the corner" so they cannot get their claws behind the wire

im not sure if there is a TRACTOR SUPPLY CO. near where you live.if so,i just bought 2 live traps tuesday for $34 at my local TSC.one is a large for coon,possum and bobcat.the other is small for small coon,possum,ferrel cats etc...
if you dont have one nearby,check out their website.i belive you may be able to order from them online.

The stray bullet thing gets me. A .22 will not be a "stray" if you hit your target. The bullet it self will stay in the body. Now if you can't hit what you shoot at you shouldn't even have rifle in the house. If you ever had to use it there is no telling what you would hit. As many possum as I've shot I have not found an exit hole on any of them. So just go off somewhere and zero in the rifle and learn to shoot. Then you'll be like an expert sniper. One shot one kill.

A bb gun. You gotta be kidding.

We've had our chickens since Feb. 2011. This morning we lost our first hen, a Welsummer, to a juvenile raccoon. My three (guard) dogs did not react or chase it away. It did go up one of our large oak trees. Lesson learned, "Keep the coop door shut and latched"...I could do more than kick myself!

An update: Nov. 4, 2011, trap was set for a few nights and this morning I found a 15 lb. (approx.) female raccoon in it. She met S. & W., will re-set again and try to catch the juvenile!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom