Please me. Is this a breed?

I went back thru my photos. These were taken April 16. 2 weeks and 2 days. See the difference in comb development between #3 and #4.

#4 is a boy.

They are labeled purple, because their leg banded purple, because they came from my darkest layer Joannie who is leg banded purple.
IMG_20240416_132311~2.jpg
IMG_20240416_132228~2.jpg
IMG_20240416_131826~2.jpg

I asked her. Waiting for the pictures. Your marans are beautiful. I heard the hatch rate for marans is pretty bad, so better let the hen hatch her own babies right?
Hatching from a broody is usually better. I haven't got my incubator dialed in right yet so I had a horrible hatch rate. 8 for 22. Most breeders I talk to like to dry hatch Marans eggs under 30% humidity then bump to 50-60% at lockdown. The explanation being Marans eggs are harder/darker/thicker shells so they retain moisture longer than normal eggs there by not needing the higher humidity levels..but I also think it's just getting your incubator set right for successful hatches.

Thank you.... I'm still working with them test mating each of my darkest layers to get darker eggs and others to fix faults for better looking progeny. I'll be doing a heavy cull come fall only keeping my best layers and boys.
Ohhh noooo,Can you sell them instead?
Hummm if you are working on standard perfection, I get it. Maybe you'll find a buyer for the ones you're not keeping. I am new to chickens. Sorry if it doesn't work like that.

Ohhh noooo,Can you sell them instead?
Hummm if you are working on standard perfection, I get it. Maybe you'll find a buyer for the ones you're not keeping. I am new to chickens. Sorry if it doesn't work like that.
Sorry, sometimes I forget about the language. To me, 'cull' means to sell, re-home or dispatch. 🙂

Last edited:
Do you have recent pictures?
What color are her eggs?
Stupid autocorrect. It should have said maran. She's certainly not laying the same colour egg she came out of. If I'm wrong and she's not a Maran, can anyone clue me in? Sorry it's not a great picture. Legally blind, so I just point and shoot lol.

Attachments

• IMG-20240517-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240517-WA0000.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20240517-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240517-WA0001.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20240517-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240517-WA0002.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 8
Stupid autocorrect. It should have said maran. She's certainly not laying the same colour egg she came out of. If I'm wrong and she's not a Maran, can anyone clue me in? Sorry it's not a great picture. Legally blind, so I just point and shoot lol.
Sorry, she's not a Marans. Comb is wrong and egg color is wrong.
I'm by no means an expert, and you should probably start a thread to find out what you have.

Marans have single combs and must lay a #4 or darker egg to be considered a Marans...

Back
Top Bottom