please please please say this isn't coryza

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
I noticed yesterday that both of one of my pullet's eyes were swollen. One way worse than the other. I took her in and started her on tylan 50. Just now I decided to soak the bad eye with a warm wet rag and it opened up to reveal a nasty cheese like substance. It doesn't stink. No other discharge or nasty smells. She does have mites but I assume that's a secondary thing. What is this? Please say it isn't coryza. I had a bantam hen that died recently after displaying similar symptoms. So far no other signs of it, including the baby the hen was raising at the time.

To be certain of what it is, you really need to get a nasal swab done by your local NPIP person. I have heard and read that coryza has a foul smell before antibiotics. Mycoplasma can cause similar problems, but the pus sounds a bit iffy.

Feel free to use Neosporin directly on the eyes as well. Topical antibiotics should help the acute symptoms right away, while the tylan builds up in the bloodstream. Good luck!

Probiotic in the water and try to keep the eye clean with out
hurting her and the Tylan 50 is a good place to start and
what are you going to do about the other birds you have ??
he.gif

gander007
old.gif

Probiotic in the water and try to keep the eye clean with out
hurting her and the Tylan 50 is a good place to start and
what are you going to do about the other birds you have ??
he.gif

gander007
old.gif
Probiotic? What kind? Where do I get it and how much per gallon of water?
Tylan 50? What dosage? How many times a day and for how long? Will it cure Coryza?

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday that both of one of my pullet's eyes were swollen. One way worse than the other. I took her in and started her on tylan 50. Just now I decided to soak the bad eye with a warm wet rag and it opened up to reveal a nasty cheese like substance. It doesn't stink. No other discharge or nasty smells. She does have mites but I assume that's a secondary thing. What is this? Please say it isn't coryza. I had a bantam hen that died recently after displaying similar symptoms. So far no other signs of it, including the baby the hen was raising at the time.

If it is Coryza, and it sounds like it is, Sulfadimethoxine powder at 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days or Sulmet (sodium sulfamethazine) at 1 tablespoon per gallon of water for 7-10 days should be used. If Coryza becomes a problem, there is a vaccine for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom