Please post pix of your pheasants. :]

I started buying and hatching eggs last spring I use styrofoam incubators that I purchased 4 of them two had fans in them and I added a fan to another they have thermometers on top and you put one inside ! These eggs were all shipped thru the mail , I only ended up getting about a 30 percent hatch I put an extra thermometer inside the incubator so I had three total on and in them I found out that the temp from one side to the other were different by up to 3 degrees I did not like that ! Looking back with all the money I spent I could have bought a real incubator and had a better success !

Here are two of my latest-Red Goldens (2013 hatch) I am thinking cock birds but I am a newbie so I am not sure....

Tony and St3ph3n- you guys rock...your words have saved me from the brink of a depression so deep.....JK, JK...but I am relieved to hear it- my male has been on the perch at the wire of his enclosure strutting and calling....I still want to do a blind introduction with them....

You can add him to the hens pen.Do not add the hens to"his"pen,he will kill them.They are introders as far as he is concerned,even if they are hens.They should of been together already as they are in their courtship season.
In N.H.,Tony.

Alright my pheasant friends! I have a question..

I have had my pheasant hen for appx 3 years now and every year she lays her eggs everywhere around the pen and not in a nest( it never fails). I thought all birds were supposed to have the instinct of laying eggs in a nest? Anyway, I went out this morning and she had 7 eggs in a nest!! WOOT!! :)
wee.gif
My Question is: do i need to move my rooster out to a separate pen once she starts to sit on them? I don't want the babies to hatch and have the rooster kill them. I usually just incubate the eggs she lays, so i'm new to this 'natural' way.
Any thoughts??
Thanks in advance!

I have had my pheasant hen for appx 3 years now and every year she lays her eggs everywhere around the pen and not in a nest( it never fails). I thought all birds were supposed to have the instinct of laying eggs in a nest? Anyway, I went out this morning and she had 7 eggs in a nest!! WOOT!! :)
wee.gif
My Question is: do i need to move my rooster out to a separate pen once she starts to sit on them? I don't want the babies to hatch and have the rooster kill them. I usually just incubate the eggs she lays, so i'm new to this 'natural' way.
Any thoughts??
Thanks in advance!
There are many factors. Some birds have their nesting ability bred out of them. Some might not feel comfortable enough with their surroundings that they will lay all over the place (maybe not enough cover?) Also, just because she laid them all in a nest doesn't mean she'll sit on them when she's done laying (like some of my birds). And if she does sit on them, it doesn't mean that she'll sit full term (I've read here in BYC that some birds start sitting and just abandon the nest later on). But those are all just "ifs". If your female pheasant does sit full term and hatch, a big congrats to you. And the male, I don't think he'll be a threat to the chicks. If he is, he should go in the freezer since that isn't a trait that you want to keep.

I have had my pheasant hen for appx 3 years now and every year she lays her eggs everywhere around the pen and not in a nest( it never fails). I thought all birds were supposed to have the instinct of laying eggs in a nest? Anyway, I went out this morning and she had 7 eggs in a nest!! WOOT!! :) :weee   My Question is: do i need to move my rooster out to a separate pen once she starts to sit on them? I don't want the babies to hatch and have the rooster kill them. I usually just incubate the eggs she lays, so i'm new to this 'natural' way. 
Any thoughts?? 
Thanks in advance!

I have had silver pheasants hatch and raise their own young and the male would tidbit the chicks but didn't brood them, he was fine with them. I have heard some people remove the male until the chicks are a week old and then reintroducing him. I would say you know your bird, if you think he'll attack the chicks than pull him out. Just keep a close eye on them.

-Stephen

Back
Top Bottom