PLEASE READ: Hawk attack, hens vomiting/sick.

I gave Courtney some free range time today by putting her outside the enclosure. Before the whole incident she would dig and forage but now she's just sitting sadly against the hardware cloth. Here are some pictures and videos I took of her: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y6ifXnool57l1_KjHm4S-3Wt0JIo3HxB.

Her butt is usually caked with poop. There is no more than usual in these pictures, I am just uploading them to show what it looks like.

Vicky seems to be eating and drinking normally, and Courtney is eating somewhat less (but still eating nonetheless) and seems to be drinking normal amounts. Both of their poop, is white, green or black, as it usually is. How do I check for mites or lice? Also what is crop?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. And sorry for all the questions. :)
No problem with questions! The crop is the organ where a chicken's food goes to be ground up for easier digestion. This article has a great diagram of where the crop is:

https://www.theselfsufficienthomeac...-sour-crop-and-impacted-crop-in-chickens.html

When your girls eat a bunch it will get visibly bigger and rounder, and if you gently feel their chest you'll be able to feel it in there, kind of like a round ball beneath the skin. In the evening it should be full, but first thing in the morning you normally won't be able to find it as it SHOULD be empty from their overnight fast. If it is still round in the morning before they eat, there's likely an issue with the crop.

Edit: You can check for lice and mites by parting the feathers and looking for little bugs or eggs (color may vary) near the skin or on the bases of the feathers. Popular spots are the vent and underwings I believe, but there's probably an article or other post you can find with the search function for doing a really good examination. In my experience, the vent is where I've spotted them the most.

Last edited:
No problem with questions! The crop is the organ where a chicken's food goes to be ground up for easier digestion. This article has a great diagram of where the crop is:

https://www.theselfsufficienthomeac...-sour-crop-and-impacted-crop-in-chickens.html

When your girls eat a bunch it will get visibly bigger and rounder, and if you gently feel their chest you'll be able to feel it in there, kind of like a round ball beneath the skin. In the evening it should be full, but first thing in the morning you normally won't be able to find it as it SHOULD be empty from their overnight fast. If it is still round in the morning before they eat, there's likely an issue with the crop.

Edit: You can check for lice and mites by parting the feathers and looking for little bugs or eggs (color may vary) near the skin or on the bases of the feathers. Popular spots are the vent and underwings I believe, but there's probably an article or other post you can find with the search function for doing a really good examination. In my experience, the vent is where I've spotted them the most.
Thank you for the reply. The hens are already in the coop but I will check their crops tomorrow.

I forgot to mention - earlier Courtney was making motions like she was about to vomit. I took a video - the link is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yVxc_PqpYd6LY0TRmTxSyoRBzYOjLTuq/view?usp=sharing. Please take a look if you can. Both Gertrude and Vicky keep spilling water out of their mouths - but I haven't noticed Courtney doing it yet.

How do I check for mites or lice? Also what is crop?
The crop is on the right side of the breast, it's a pouch that holds food/water when the hen has been eating and drinking.
You should be able to feel a lump on the right side of her breast when she's had food, this is perfectly normal. The lump may be firm and can be quite large depending on how much she's consumed.
When a hen goes to roost, usually the crop is full - you should be able to run your hand down the right side of her breast when she's on the roost and easily feel the crop. Go back early in the morning while she's still roosting and re-check, the same area should feel flat or empty.
If the crop is not emptying overnight, then you need to address that symptom.
This article give details and outlines the treatment methods. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Checking for lice and mites, you'll need to look through her feathers for bugs.
Look around the vent, under her wings, etc.

She has a lot of poop built up on her vent back end. Give her a good soaking and clean up all of the poop off of her. Give the fluff under her vent just a little trim as well.
She has a lot of urates, so you need to see that she's staying hydrated.

Your hen looks like she does not feel well, so it's up to you to examine her closely and try to determine what's going on with her. Checking the crop, looking for external parasites and seeing that she's getting fluids are good first steps.

Hi all,

Courtney is still acting sickly, as shown in these videos from a couple of days ago. One of my family members suspects that she is dying. She doesn't move much at all, but on the other hand doesn't have any sort of wound - just a couple of missing feathers on her tail. I have not had a chance to check her crop in the late evening (someone else took the hens in for the night), but I could not feel it in the morning.

I really need help. Please tell me what to do so that my hen can live. She's so much more than just a bird - she's one of my dearest friends.

*hugs* I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but here's my thoughts in no particular order:

1. Existing condition worsened by stress from the attack. Maybe a parasite like worms, mites/lice, coccidiosis. The gaping/vomit could in theory point to a gapeworm situation in particular if that gaping/yawning is pronounced in your flock. A vet could help you narrow it down and get the right treatment.

2. Just an internal injury from hawk impact. Maybe a vet could help but all I know to try is supportive care. Cooked or raw egg, vitamins, electrolytes/ fluids, keep her warm as already suggested.

3. Definitely clean her poopy butt like Wyorp said. Will help prevent flystrike and aid to check her egg situation. Has she been laying at all? Can you gently feel her abdomen to see if an egg is likely brewing/stuck/or if she seems bloated between the legs?

If you find any more symptoms it might help, but I'm really leaning towards supportive care. It's probably what I would try first plus the butt cleaning. Flystrike is an awful complication and she's probably vulnerable in her weaker state.

*hugs* I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but here's my thoughts in no particular order:

1. Existing condition worsened by stress from the attack. Maybe a parasite like worms, mites/lice, coccidiosis. The gaping/vomit could in theory point to a gapeworm situation in particular if that gaping/yawning is pronounced in your flock. A vet could help you narrow it down and get the right treatment.

2. Just an internal injury from hawk impact. Maybe a vet could help but all I know to try is supportive care. Cooked or raw egg, vitamins, electrolytes/ fluids, keep her warm as already suggested.

3. Definitely clean her poopy butt like Wyorp said. Will help prevent flystrike and aid to check her egg situation. Has she been laying at all? Can you gently feel her abdomen to see if an egg is likely brewing/stuck/or if she seems bloated between the legs?

If you find any more symptoms it might help, but I'm really leaning towards supportive care. It's probably what I would try first plus the butt cleaning. Flystrike is an awful complication and she's probably vulnerable in her weaker state.
Thank you so much for helping! I checked between her feathers all over her and saw no visible mites or eggs. I believe she's been laying, as we got 5 eggs today (and Gertrude hasn't reached laying age yet). I've held her gently and I can't feel any sort of bloating - although it's still a possiblity.

I will feed her some boiled eggs and fresh water. It's in the high 70s and low 80s around here so hopefully she'll be warm enough.

I really appreciate the response and I hope you have a great rest of your day. :)

Vicky vomited once again when I picked her up today. It was less vomit than yesterday, but this time it had a slight odor and brownish color. Courtney (the hen who was attacked) spent much of the day sitting against a wall of the enclosure, puffed up and eyes closed. The other four are doing fine - although they freeze at the slightest sound of a bird call. I did see a hawk sitting near the enclosure this afternoon, which was very concerning.

Are Vicky's vomiting and Courtney's puffiness caused by trauma from the hawk attack, or is it likely that they got some sort of disease? More importantly, what can I do to help them? Any information would be great. Thank you.
We have lost one chicken to a hawk. We immediately searched to find everything about hawks and we got a fake owl. Hawks are also scared of their reflections or shiny things one of those two.

Our chickens no longer free range unless we are outside and they have a netted run in the shaded trees.

When the hawk attacked did an egg break inside of her??

Back
Top Bottom