Please recommend a rainproof feeder that can handle 50lb bags (or, 2 x 25)... But also works for 50 chicken.

Could your egg production not be down to the shortening days, winter?
This issue has been plaguing us for months.

At first we thought it might be because of broodies. And then we wondered if it was a heatwave. And now we can blame the weather or moulting...

But I assume it has to be something else because it's so consistently low across seasons.

Oh, I like that model, @Al Gerhart

But didn't see that last recommendation until after I ordered these:

https://duncanspoultry.com/duncans-poultry-55-lb-2-sided-feeder/

They aren't rat or completely rainproof, but work wonderfully and are also made in the USA. I like that they are intentionally oversized at 55 lb should take a full bag even if there's a little bit at the bottom. I will tarp over them to keep rain completely out.

We've only had them a few days but the chickens seem happier, so that's good. I'm hoping our egg production goes up to something sane.
That is an inexpensive solution to storing a sack of feed! A lot of people go for years without any rodent issues and if a flock owner practices the other sanitation and exclusion methods that Howard E's posts lay out they might never have a rodent issue.

If you ever do need a treadle feeder England has several manufacturers that make a feeder similar to our feeder so dig around online before trying to import one or settling for what Amazon has to offer.

This issue has been plaguing us for months.

At first we thought it might be because of broodies. And then we wondered if it was a heatwave. And now we can blame the weather or moulting...

But I assume it has to be something else because it's so consistently low across seasons.
How old are the hens? Are you feeding a commercial laying pellet or crumble? Supplementing it with anything significant?

How old are the hens? Are you feeding a commercial laying pellet or crumble? Supplementing it with anything significant?

18 of our chickens were from this spring (5 are roosters).

15 are from last year.

12 are older than that, mixed years.

2 older roosters (so 37 hens, 7 roosters but they dont really squabble).

We feed them layer pellets. We were using a Purina mix for a bit, then switched to a local mill's custom layer mix.

The last time we used to get a lot of eggs was early summer. Then it dried up for awhile and we blamed having 8 broodies at the same time... but the egg supply never returned and weve been getting about 3 eggs a day since maybe late July or August.

That is an inexpensive solution to storing a sack of feed! A lot of people go for years without any rodent issues and if a flock owner practices the other sanitation and exclusion methods that Howard E's posts lay out they might never have a rodent issue.

If you ever do need a treadle feeder England has several manufacturers that make a feeder similar to our feeder so dig around online before trying to import one or settling for what Amazon has to offer.

Oh for sure. I bought them directly from a family business, made in the USA. I am willing to support that over Amazon any day, assuming I can swing it.

We got 4 eggs yesterday, so I'm hoping thats the first sign our egg production will go up now that we switched to a 'free feed/free range' setup instead of 'fixed meal time/free range' setup.

cross posting in relevant threads: we have at least somewhat solved our problem. We used to feed them in the morning and sometimes at lunch, plus freerange and kitchen leftovers. We have now invested in a set of all day feeders so they can go back to their run and get food whenever they want. We went from averaging 2 to 3 eggs a day to 6-8 a day after a week, so i think this was the issue.

We also think at least one is laying in the alpaca shed and that the dogs are eating it before we find it. No evidence except a bowl shape in the hay.

This, plus our weather, plus molting season could explain everything. I'm very curious to see what I production in the spring is like.

I'll probably just going to cut and paste this response into the various threads I asked for advice in since I dont want to retype but want to pass along success and advice for anyone else struggling with low egg production.

Back
Top Bottom