Please say it's a girl!!

jaymub

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
So I just got my first chicks on 3/1. I am having so much fun with them and probably spending more time than I'd like to admit reading about chickens on this site!! Anyway, I got a straight run of 4 Easter Eggers. After reading all of the many posts on determining gender on these apparently hard to sex birds I think I nailed down that 3 of the 4 are cockerels. 2 of those "crowed" by 4 weeks old which I believe is a pretty good indication of male. These 3 also have thick legs, cocky "attitudes", a row of 3 on their combs, and their combs are starting to turn pinkish. So this leads me to my question... I'm still unsure about the fourth chick and wanted to get some input from some of you pros and more experienced chicken owners out there on what you think my 4th chick might be. I'm really hoping for a pullet as this one is my last hope for some eggs!! Scout is a little smaller but not by much, dull feathers, gets involved with some of the chest bumping but not nearly as often as the other 3 do, sweet but not as brave as the other boys, and that's all I can think of to describe some of my observations. I've included some pics below. Any thoughts are much appreciated and thanks so much for taking the time to look.

I think, given the picture and your description that it's too early to tell. Though I must guess girl/pullet if I had too.

4 week old crowers is really early. I've seen some videos of chicks crowing that early and have had a few of my own early crowers. Still always surprises me. Nothing like running to the brooder and watching them stretch that neck and sqeak out a crow.

Wish ya the best.

Thanks for looking!! Here's a link of one of my other crazy chicks trying to crow lol

Back
Top Bottom