please suggest a breed

seedling

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
My daughter would really love a few ducks for her birthday.

We currently have 12 chickens. The ducks would share the same back yard but would have their own coop.

I am looking for a breed that: 1)is quiet 2)can't fly 3)is calm 4)is a decent layer.

Now, beyond figuring out the breed, are there care requirements other than providing a pool for them to play in (and keeping that water fresh) that is different from chickens?

Thanks for the help!

The only breed of duck that is definitely "quiet" are Muscovy. All mallard derived breeds quack but the extent depends on breed and the volume/frequenct depends on the individual duck. ie Pekin and Calls are generally loud/chatty.

Mallards and Calls fly, Muscovy can fly especially females, most other breeds of domestic duck can get a bit off the ground but not fly. You can clip one wing to prevent flight though. Here is a link to Metzer Farms breed comparision http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=693264

I (as I often do when I see this question) will suggest muscovy. They have great personalities, lay pretty well, are quiet and if wings are clipped can't fly.
wink.png

Muscovies aren't much at laying, they're more of a meat breed. They can be really sweet and puppy like (quiet, with wagging tails), but keep in mind they are an acquired taste in the looks department.

My go to suggestion for children is Welsh Harlequin. The ones I've gotten from metzer are always quiet, docile, beautiful, great layers, and though young, they are already trying to go broody. I have 20+ ducks and don't even come close to giving them all hands on every day, but my kids always seem to catch my WH easily and bring them in the house for "duck hugs" time. Khaki campbells are similar, but they were my first ducks so were handled a whole lot more as babies to get that way. Just about any breed will become used to handling given enough attention. Cayugas and swedish are quite nice ducks too and runners are adorable, but the campbells and welsh are the better layers.

Well there's several different breeds:
In my experience, my pekins have been pretty loud. Although, they are good layers, can't fly and are calm.
Another is a cayuga. My cayuga was loud at first but is not loud any more. They are pretty good layers (not quite as good as pekins, but still pretty good), they are calm and cannot fly.
Third, is khaki campbells. My khaki campbell has been really quiet, she's probably has been the most quiet for me. They are one of the best egg laying ducks, they can't fly and are very calm.
(There are several more breeds if you want to keep looking for a different one)
I would say that a khaki campbell would probably match the most to your specifications.

Can't fly, calm, decent layer.........

My Appleyards are my most easy-going ducks. They don't get upset about anything. They will walk on my feet if I am in their way; they are quite confident. They are very heavy and can't fly. They are good layers. Plus, they are beautiful. The ducks are really loud when they let loose and call, but normally, it is a lower volume chattiness, sort of a murmur.

My Pekins have the best personalities. They have more energy than the Appleyards and rush to see what is going on and follow me around chatting. They talk to me and then tip their heads and wait for me to answer. They aren't known as an egg laying breed, but I am getting a huge egg a day from each of them. They are extra large and can't fly. The down side is that they are all white, which to me makes them plain looking.

My only warning about Muscovy is that they have razor sharp nails and I hear a lot of comments about scratching and even scarring from those nails. Other than that, they are excellent ducks. I think that they do fly, though, since they are a tree dweller.

I can't address the other breeds -only the 1 I have -- Pekin
We love that duck. I dont think she's noisy at all. Like the aflack duck - she can spin but doesn't fly. Too heavy. Mine lives well with the chickens and shares the same coop. Lays an egg almost every day. She and the chickens are great pals. And she obviously is crazy about us humans (cause we have the treats).....

Well, my hatchery rouens are good layers, very sweet. Kinda quiet (when they want to be). But my hens fly. Like SERIOUSLY fly! Ontop of the chicken coop fly! They dont ever fly out of their fence though... Just around their yard...

Back
Top Bottom