Please Tell Me My Tufted Araucana is a Roo :(

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
Even if it's a lie, okay!?

I was positive this was a boy until today. I got a good look at him and realized he doesn't have any pointy saddle feathers, whereas the other roos have them. His colour also made me think it was a boy, very shiny and 'flamboyant' whereas the females are not. I was so happy he was a boy, now I have no tufted roos.
sad.png
Unless by some miracle I am wrong. Please let me be wrong.

42359_1_boy_tufted_small.jpg

42359_1_tufted_boy_head.jpg

Bad pic, sorry. Supposed to show saddle feathers. I do note that these saddle feathers are less round than normal females but that might be a trick of the colouring? Also- I just realized how many feathers he has missing from his back. Is it possible that a bunch of his saddle feathers are missing? (Peer plucking or not grown in yet?)

42359_1_tufted_saddle_feathers.jpg

42359_1_boy_tufted_back.jpg

Here is a pic of one of the rumpless roos for comb comparison. The girls all have much smaller combs, which is another reason I was sure it's a boy.

42359_1_second_rumpless_roo_small_comb.jpg

ETA a pic

Last edited:
All of the photos are too "up close" and rather blurry, so it is hard to say until I saw the last photo. . . And I don't know if you didn't see it, but I see a definite boy's rump there with nice, almost flame-colored saddle feathers streaming down. Also, the fact that it first had those immature brown and black barred feathers that then suddenly turned a solid, deep red says it's also a boy.

Looks like a BBR cockerel so far.

Aaaaah never mind, read it again.

That's a pullet. Bottom one as you said is a roo.
lol.png
. . . .
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
OOOOOH !!! That was so cruel LOL I got my hopes so high reading your first paragraph.

Well that's what I thought about the bright saddle feathers. Okay as soon as my fiance gets off work we are taking some pictures. I must admit it was a wee bit tricky to try to take the pics while holding them. I couldn't really see through the viewfinder. Is there any chance it is a boy? Here let me upload the pic of the female tufteds comb.

Okay here is the female tufted. Yeah their combs are very similar but the *pleasebearooster* tufted is a weeee bit bigger.

42359_1_girl_tufted_face.jpg

And here is my rumpless roo. His comb is huge compared to the other rumpless roo. That was another reason I had decided *pleasebearooster* tufted was a boy, because the roos had such difference in their comb size.

42359_1_what_are_you_looking_at.jpg

There's very little chance. . . It honestly looks like it will grow up to have a coloring much like my pullet -

4996328244_9b84f81c36_z.jpg

To also note, she's naturally very glossy and iridescent, too, which would make someone think she's a boy at young age. Otherwise, sorry, even the face screams girl.

Quote:
She's very pretty, so she looked similar to my guy...er...girl?

Okay I have a question that I am going to post here and in the Araucana thread.

I have a unilaterally tufted white roo- I am positive I read somewhere that tufts are tufts, and that no matter how well tufted, that hit of tuft is all that counts. (ie. the tufted gene will be passed on) I have two gorgeous rumpless clean faced girls and I need a tufted roo for them or they will go to waste. If I breed them to him will some of the chicks be tufted? Is there a difference between how tuft carries- will unilaterally tufted roos throw the same? Or is there an equal chance to get bilateral tufting? ((I hope that all made sense))

Someone told me that the ones with the big tufts are usually males. These two are girls AND the tufted rumpless one that died was a girl. Just in case anyone else heard that, I think it might be a myth. :O

Back
Top Bottom