Please tell me what this is? *PIC* UPDATE *She Died

Betty did pass the same kinds of blobs and she was an internal layer, unfortunately.
I am hoping you will have a much better outcome with your girl.
It's possible that antibiotic and antiinflammatory would be back the condition for at least a while.
It would be wonderful if causes of and remedies for internal laying that are less drastic than hysterectomies can be found via all the wonderful information sharing between chicken folk.
JJ

Quote:
When I said she had some bread soaked in milk it was just a little bit. It is just one of the many different things I have tried with her in an attempt to make her eat and find something she actually likes. She did eat a little but mostly she pecks at it and just slings it all over. But she did show more interest yesterday with the bread soaked in milk and then again with the layer pellets. I will try the molasses mixed with crushed pellets or something and see what she thinks. Yogurt was a "no - go " for her. Not interested...

My little red star died during the night after days of being nursed and coaxed. I am pretty sure she was an internal layer based on others responses and the picture above. Does anyone know if red stars are prone to this type of thing. Anyway, it's sad but life goes on at our house with the other chickens. Will miss our precious little red star!

sad.png
Oh, I'm so sorry. Just know that you did everything you could for her, and in the last days she knows she was loved.
hugs.gif

Any high production bird is susceptible to internal laying. I've lost four girls to it this year, all hatchery birds. A fifth was on death's doorstep and in a last ditch attempt to save her, we gave her three days of penicillin injections. She has recovered from what was probably an ovarian infection, essentially, which is basically how internal laying begins, and she has fully recovered. Sorry you lost her. That is the age all of mine were, just over two years old.

I suspected that might be the case since red stars are pretty much breed for that high production. She was a "gift" from a friend and was in a mess when we got her 6 months ago. I'm just glad that her last 6 months were clean, happy and relatively "free" - all mine get to free range when someone is home to keep any eye on them. And my "gift" chickens just loved this new "free-range" experience! So she was happy!

I'm sorry for your loss; thank you for sharing your experience, despite your pain. Your posts just may help someone else in the same situation. You did an excellent job caring for your girl in her hour of need. Be at peace knowing you did all you could do.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom