Please tell me what worked for you

CrazyChickLady64

Songster
Nov 5, 2023
Sulphur Springs Texas
Ok I purchased 12 eggs and they were shipped. Incubated them and only 4 hatched. I want more so I have purchased 12 more from a different person they were delivered and I am waiting to set them. Please give me your advice what can I do to have a more successful hatch rate. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_150221285.jpg
    IMG_20231229_150221285.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20231229_161554.jpg
    IMG_20231229_161554.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 2
Shipped eggs do suffer in shipping, ,,, and hatching rates are usually going to be less than great.
First,,, on your newly arrived eggs,,, let them rest a day,, before incubating. Then hope for the best.
My suggestion to you,,,,,, search out fertile hatching eggs that you can drive and pick up. This should give you better hatching results.
How do you get local-ish eggs???? I don't know your location since it is not in your profile,,,,, but you can easily find a State Thread if you are in the US. If in other country,, then there are also local threads to those regions.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Shipped eggs do suffer in shipping, ,,, and hatching rates are usually going to be less than great.
First,,, on your newly arrived eggs,,, let them rest a day,, before incubating. Then hope for the best.
My suggestion to you,,,,,, search out fertile hatching eggs that you can drive and pick up. This should give you better hatching results.
How do you get local-ish eggs???? I don't know your location since it is not in your profile,,,,, but you can easily find a State Thread if you are in the US. If in other country,, then there are also local threads to those regions.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you I am in North East Texas. I have tried to find eggs of the Ayam Camani breed in my area but no luck. I have read let the eggs rest 12-24 hours and some say 24- 48 hours. Is it better to let them rest longer or do you think it makes a difference at all?

There are so many variables with hatching eggs. You really need to find a seller with a great reputation and quality healthy flock/eggs that are fertile. Even then it can be tough to get a good a hatch. I was very lucky and got a great seller that only shipped in spring weather. I placed the eggs in my incubator after they came to ambient temperature in less than 12 hours and got about a 70 to 75% hatch. That was almost 10 years ago, with todays egg prices Im not sure I would even attempt it again. I would probably look into finding chicks instead they are about the same price now.

Thank you I am in North East Texas. I have tried to find eggs of the Ayam Camani breed in my area but no luck. I have read let the eggs rest 12-24 hours and some say 24- 48 hours. Is it better to let them rest longer or do you think it makes a difference at all?
Well that explains some. Ayam Cemanis are a select breed that is not common. Reason for getting them shipped. Now to the resting period,,, go for the 24 hour. That puts you in the middle of the offered opinions. Th shipping shaking is what puts many of the eggs at risk. The air-sacks seem to be shaken/detached as result. Not much you can do about that. Mail gets sorted by machines. (yes, boxes as well) They do get some banging in the handling.
Here are the links to Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. If you are short drive across border,, it may be worthwhile to do the travel.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas.44/page-5315

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/louisiana-la-yers-peeps.160883/page-4832

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arkansas-folks-speak-up.37675/page-1101

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/okies-in-the-byc-iii.501128/page-6903

Some state threads are not as ACTIVE,, as others. It is no cost to you to place a post.. There may be more readers viewing threads than active posters..

BTW,, It is a good idea to get eggs from a different source for your second hatching. This way you end up with a more diverse gene pool. Inbreeding is not a good idea. 2 different supplies of eggs removes that possibility.

If the air cells are intact and in the rounded end of the eggs, incubate right away. If they've moved, or "saddled" as it's called, let them sit for a day in an egg carton with the rounded end facing up/pointed end facing down. This worked well with some shipped turkey eggs I got.

First off wash your hands before handling the eggs.

When I get shipped eggs I unbox them. I wash my hands before inspecting the condition of the eggs. Then I place them in a egg carton without the top. It goes in the incubator right away. I don't touch it till the 3rd or 4th day to candle them. Then I take out the ones that are growing and take out the egg carton with bad eggs. I place all the viable eggs on its side and start turning them. My last hatch was for Phoenix eggs, bought 6 eggs +2 extra. 6 hatched 3 males, 3 females.

Back
Top Bottom