PLESE HELP!!!! Chickens beak got bit off

Pics
Buy some crickets or huge mealworms and see if she'll try to eat those from your hand.

-Kathy

I had forgotten about this! Yes, it might be worth trying. Even when my rooster was dying and wouldn't eat anything, he would still eat LIVE mealworms. They were too wonderful and juicy for him to pass up. She might be in too much pain to really go after them, but it cannot hurt to try. You can get them from a pet store, or even sporting good stores if there are any near (they sell them as fishing bait). If she won't eat them, your other chickens surely will, so they won't be wasted.

I don't have any advice to give, as I don't have any chickens myself yet. I read this post for updates and am following your story. I hope you have success and I commend your hardwork and dedication. I firmly believe animals can sense our intent, and she must pick up on your determination toward her healing. Good luck, and my admiration sent your way!!

UPDATE: her comb has been really itchy, which is good because it means it's healing. So she has been scratching at it. This evening, before we tube fed her, we said a prayer. She cooperated so much better. It helps to have God helping as well. We got about 50 mL in her. During the day, she gets To spend the day in the chicken house by herself with her friend who gets along with Fuzzy Bum. They are so cute together :). But fuzzy bum sleeps in our house at night. She was very alert tonight when she saw our car in the house. I haven't given her anything for pain relief, but I'll look into getting my dad to pick up some aspirin. Is aspirin the best for her? What dose should I get? And would I crush it up and give it to her mixed with the formula for tube feeding? Would it have any bad possible side effects? I will also try to get some meal worms for her. Hopefully she will eat them. I really hope she eats and drinks on her own soon :( here are some pictures so you guys can see how she's doing. Also, if it's possible, tell me what you think of the poop, if it's something I should be concerned about. Thank you all so much for your advice, prayers, and support. God bless <3 Fuzzy Bum says thank you as well

UPDATE: her comb has been really itchy, which is good because it means it's healing. So she has been scratching at it. This evening, before we tube fed her, we said a prayer. She cooperated so much better. It helps to have God helping as well. We got about 50 mL in her. During the day, she gets To spend the day in the chicken house by herself with her friend who gets along with Fuzzy Bum. They are so cute together :). But fuzzy bum sleeps in our house at night. She was very alert tonight when she saw our car in the house. I haven't given her anything for pain relief, but I'll look into getting my dad to pick up some aspirin. Is aspirin the best for her? What dose should I get? And would I crush it up and give it to her mixed with the formula for tube feeding? Would it have any bad possible side effects? I will also try to get some meal worms for her. Hopefully she will eat them. I really hope she eats and drinks on her own soon :( here are some pictures so you guys can see how she's doing. Also, if it's possible, tell me what you think of the poop, if it's something I should be concerned about. Thank you all so much for your advice, prayers, and support. God bless <3 Fuzzy Bum says thank you as well

In post #16 ten chicks had posted the dosage for the aspirin.

Aquarium hose, did you you smooth the edges with a lighter. Maybe its going down a bit rough with her fighting.

Her poop actually looks pretty good. Glad this feeding went better. :)

I have a hen who had her beak bitten off several years ago. She has been my strongest layer! her beak never grew back. Her beak looks just like your girl. I called Peter Brown at http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/. He had me give her antibiotic. I used syringes without a needle to get water into her and used a small condiment spoon to feed her oatmeal, multiple times a day. I could tell it was painful. It was very messy. I started wearing an apron and covered my couch with a sheet-she would shake her head and it went everywhere. I wrapped her in a towel to keep her from fighting me. She would not have eaten, otherwise. It's been a while, but I think the worst lasted a few weeks. The parts of beak that were left fell off. I tried making a fake beak out of fake nails, but no way to get it to stick. I kept her in a small dog cage in the house and let her walk around on my laminate floor during the day. She was pretty angry with me for quite a while. She now manages to eat layer feed and drink water on her own. Any treats, like lettuce, need to be either balled up or chopped up. She can't tear things. She spends much more time eating than the other chickens. She uses her tongue to pick up food. We have a nipple type waterer, but she also drinks out of a bowl. Seems to do better with her feeder raised. She is still top of the pecking order.
I think I hand fed her for a few months, but probably didn't need to do it so long. While she was recouping, i would bring her out to see the other girls. She would be on the outside of the fence and happily chatter with them. In the house, she was very quiet-seemed depressed.

Last edited:
I have a hen who had her beak bitten off several years ago. She has been my strongest layers! her beak never grew back. Her beak looks just like your girl. I called Peter Brown at http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/. He had me give her antibiotic. I used syringes without a needle to get water into her and used a small condiment spoon to feed her oatmeal, multiple times a day. I could tell it was painful. It was very messy. I started wearing an apron and covered my couch with a sheet-she would shake her head and it went everywhere. I wrapped her in a towel to keep her from fighting me. She would not have eaten, otherwise. It's been a while, but I think the worst lasted a few weeks. The parts of beak that were left fell off. I tried making a fake beak out of fake nails, but no way to get it to stick. I kept her in a small dog cage in the house and let her walk around on my laminate floor during the day. She was pretty angry with me for quite a while. She now manages to eat layer feed and drink water on her own. Any treats, like lettuce, need to be either balled up or chopped up. She can't tear things. She spends much more time eating than the other chickens. She uses her tongue to pick up food. We have a nipple type waterer, but she also drinks out of a bowl. Seems to do better with her feeder raised. She is still top of the pecking order.
Any chance to get a picture of her. That is amazing. :) glad it worked out for her.

Back
Top Bottom