Pls help! 2 dead Austalorps, more ill

dawnjerrene

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Eastern Washington
I bought 9 Blk Australorps last night. As of an hour ago, two are dead, and two are in a separate brooder under their own light, splay legged and weak. Been giving electrolyte/sugar water. They're not acting interested in food. What do I try next?!

Four chicks are now dead. The rest seem to be okay, but my kid is a wreck. We've had birds for more than ten years, and we've never lost a chick until this. I'm a bit of a nut about sanitation, but it has always worked, until this! 7 of these chicks are for my oldest girl. She has no place for a brooder, and lost most of her flock to raccoons last fall.I told her I'd raise them for her until they were fledged. I absolutely must figure out why they're dying. :-(

How old are the chicks? Do you have a thermometer in their brooder? I'd start by treating them with Corid in the water. Need more info on the chicks though.

7 out of 9 chicks died in that batch. The 2 which lived are big and strong. I'm guessing it was an issue with the hatchery. No other chicks had any issues. Odd, isn't it? OTOH, we lost a hen to a prolapsed oviduct today. Never had that happen before.

Back
Top Bottom