PLS HELP! New chicken owner and I think they have worms! What do I do????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only tell from my own experience , that since I started using the fenbendazole ( safeguard ) my chickens have gone from strength to strength . No disrespect intended, but when it comes to worms , dawg knows his stuff.

Great to use natural methods as a preventive, but when you see you have a problem I would knock them out with Valbazen, worms can kill your chickens.

I have heard 6 drops ivermectin on skin for adult size chickens works great. It kills everything ...also, U can administer it thru injection or mouth. Never felt the need to worm this strong of a dewormer since I give DE every two and half weeks. I use the pastes for my horses. If u want to get weight and make them strong for your chickens give them calf manna ...mix into their feed. Works great! It is for poultry too. I get it at local tractor supply.

I have heard 6 drops ivermectin on skin for adult size chickens works great. It kills everything ...also, U can administer it thru injection or mouth. Never felt the need to worm this strong of a dewormer since I give DE every two and half weeks. I use the pastes for my horses. If u want to get weight and make them strong for your chickens give them calf manna ...mix into their feed. Works great! It is for poultry too. I get it at local tractor supply.
DE will not prevent nor kill worms. DE is useless when wet, just like inside the chickens innards. DE may be good for a lice or mite problem, it takes a long time for it to dessicate insects and it would not be effective for external parasite infestations. A bird covered in mites will die first due to the excessive blood loss even if DE is used. Ivermectin products are effective in other livestock, but not chickens. This is due to its overuse in chickens as a miteacide, not used as its primary purpose as a wormer. In chickens, worms have become resistant to both the ivermectin injectable and pour on. I've used DE and ivermectin pour on in chickens well enough to know what works and what doesnt work as wormers. Ivomec products will still kill mites. Here's more proof about ivermectin injectable showing its ineffectiveness:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract
You dont use DE for your horses, why use it for your chickens? You already know DE would be ineffective for your horses, same for chickens.

Last edited:
Thanks for your knowledge. However, I am a clean freak when it comes to my chickens environment ....we must take this into consideration as a deworming preventative measure. If we keep our coops and free range area clean then this is a big preventive step towards healthy happy birds. :) I have always used DE for my poultry. However, if a person is have a severe problem with infestation than by all means use the potent wormer. Your input or feelings about other chicken owners methods are defensive and discriminating. Would u like for me to attack your methods of caring for your chickens "Goat wormer is useless" . ....I don't think so my dear. :)

Thanks for your knowledge. However, I am a clean freak when it comes to my chickens environment ....we must take this into consideration as a deworming preventative measure. If we keep our coops and free range area clean then this is a big preventive step towards healthy happy birds.
smile.png
I have always used DE for my poultry. However, if a person is have a severe problem with infestation than by all means use the potent wormer. Your input or feelings about other chicken owners methods are defensive and discriminating. Would u like for me to attack your methods of caring for your chickens "Goat wormer is useless" . ....I don't think so my dear.
smile.png
I'm not discriminating anything. Try learning and applying something that will save you time and money. I'm trying to teach others not to make the same mistakes I did many years ago....I'm stating facts about DE and wormers, and can back it up with experience. I agree with you about keeping a clean coop/pen. DE will keep fly population down as well as other parasites. DE is costly. A pickup truck load of sand is cheaper and more effective in a chicken pen/run than DE. Sand will not wash away in a downpour like dirt or DE. Sand dries quicker and certainly helps deters flies and other insects.
Read my signature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom