Plucker Problems

Corazon Ranch

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 28, 2012
Hey all!

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find a thread that helped...

My hubby built me a Whizbang plucker this summer and we tried to use it this morning for the first time. In the past, I have always skinned the birds, with good results. But everything I have read makes it seem so easy, I didn't expect such a disaster!

To make a long story short, our pot of water was 155F (read with a non-contact infrared thermometer) and we dunked for 3 second intervals. We tested the primary feathers and the tail feathers over and over again, but they never came out easily. We must have dunked 10-20 times!

After so many dunkings, we tossed her into the plucker anyway. Only 75% of the feathers came out, and the skin & meat was torn in many places. The meat was cooked, and the internals were a sloppy mess inside the body cavity. The bird was unsalvageable and will be vulture food, sadly.

Obviously she was overcooked in the scalder ... but not cooked enough to get the feathers out.

I don't want to risk ruining any more birds! Help troubleshooting this mess will be greatly appreciated!

I have a meat thermometer that I have in the scald water. I drilled a hole thru a piece of wood and I put the stem of the thermometer thru the hole. Hole is small so the stem is a snug fit. I then put it in the scald water. It floats and so I know what the temp is of the water is at a glance. I adjust the temp if needed before scalding the bird. I find 150 degrees is the magic temp. This could vary some, as each thermometer will vary a bit. Just before scalding I remove the floating thermometer. I also add some baking soda to the scald water. Not before each bird, I add it after I get water container full and water it is heating up. This helps to make the skin a bit slippery for plucking to discourage tearing of the skin. To know if the bird is ready for plucking during the scalding, I check by trying to remove wing feathers periodically by simply pulling on them. If they come off hard or not at all, keep scalding. Up & down and slightly rotate bird in scald water to help water penetrate thru feathers. Don't dip bird and leave it still, move it around. Ready for the plucker when wing or tail feathers remove easily. Monitor ease of feather removal while you are dipping the bird. After several birds you will have a system that works for you. Basic rule of thumb is if the scald water too cool, plucker will not remove feathers and pins. Water too hot and the skin likely will be torn. The floating thermometer will tell you when to start the scald. Hope this helps.....

Add a couple drops of dish detergent to help get the feathers out and dunk up and down vigorously. I had the same problem but after I tried that things got better.

Scalding temperature is critical. Get a thermometer in the water to find out what the temp is. We use a turkey fryer thermometer. Not most accurate, but one the temp is about right it does guide the temp control.

Once you get the scald done proper, where the feathers come out without much more than a light tug, then your plucker should work properly with a 30 second or so time in the plucker. If it takes more time than that with a proper scald, then you also have plucker problems. Internals should not be effected by the plucker at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom