Plymoth Barred Rock?

mandolinmama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Urbana Missouri
I purchased two pullets that were supposed to be Plymoth Barred Rocks. They were all black but now, they have golden lacing starting in on their chest feathers. I thought barred rocks were black and white.
Do you think my birds are something else?

i also just recently purchased 5 barred rocks, and they are mostly black when young. they are 3 weeks old now and they are black with MANY white spots. as the feathers grow in, their strips will form. They will have a bit of white on their faces and the back of their heads. my girls' feet are going more black now as well.

hope that helped a bit.

Well, at least the good thing is, you know they are girls.
smile.png
Female black sex-links are black w/ gold cackle and the males look like barred rocks. They are one of my favorite types of chickens. I always keep at least one in my ever-changing flock.

Thanks a gob folks! I looked up some pictures of black sex-link pullets and that's for sure what we've got.
Mine seem to have a pretty sweet disposition and i'll love them no matter what. It's my kids that are upset that their chicks that they picked out won't look like zebras. lol!
tongue.png

It made me understand a bit more about how we ended up with them when I read about their father being rir and mother being br. They might have just assumed that because they were from a br that they were going to be little br.
Thanks for all the responses though.

Back
Top Bottom