Plymouth Rock Bantams Discussion Thread

What variety of Plymouth Rock Bantam do you own?

• Buff

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Barred

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Black

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Blue

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Columbian

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Partridge

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Silver Pencilled

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • White

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • Other ABA recognized color

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Project Colors (Non-SOP)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Large Fowl Plymouth Rocks

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
I have a trio of Barreds. I love them, but I've had nothing but trouble getting chicks from them. I have one BR chick in the brooder this Spring out of at least 2 dozen eggs. They all develop, but they just don't hatch. I'm getting very frustrated. I have d'Anvers bantams hatching left and right in the same incubator, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong at this point.

That is odd - i have never tried to incubate them - i have only hatched out chicks theole fashioned way. Have you had any luck with a broody hen?

I'm trying that now. My Silkie went broody, so I popped some under her. So far, three eggs are developing. So, we'll see in a couple weeks if they hatch this way.

Here are my two girls. I bought them a couple of weeks ago, and I believe they are Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock Bantams. I had never heard of the breed, until I started trying to figure out what my new little girls were.
Sorry for such bad pictures. These girls are marathon runners, especially when you have a camera in your hand.

They are definitely Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. I think their shanks could be a bit more yellow. But the dull shanks could be from egg production. Did you get a male with them?

Back
Top Bottom