Polish Chick - Stiff Legged Penguin Walk

chuck40

Hatching
Apr 11, 2023
Newbie here, so if I violate any norms, or rules I apologize.

I have a week old Polish Chick that arrived in rough shape and had to be nursed for 2 days with eye droppers egg yolk and water. She is now taking food and water on her own, but continues to struggle with walking and lethargy. She is not a nearly as active as our other chicks. She can/does get to food and water, she is gaining weight, but I am still concerned.

I compare her walk to a penguin waddle, and frequently sits back, almost like a dog. She also lays down frequently, usually on her side. While the other chicks are flapping into walls, splashing in their water, and digging in the feed, she is off to the side sleeping 2/3's of the time. When she is hungry or thirsty she will make her "stiff-legged" waddle to the feeders/water.

My wife is concerned she may have splayed leg but if it is, it looks almost normal, definitely nothing similar to what is seen anywhere online. We have our chicks on paper towels, changed 3x day until we figure her out.

I do have "Poultry Cell" in their water in case of a vitamin deficiency. Any thoughts?

Yes, the chicks were shipped.

She continued to walk "goofy" for a few days, but was eating and drinking so we decided to let it play out. We took multiple looks a leg but the only thing we noticed was her "4th" toe (inside rear facing) is nearly missing from her one foot, it is 1/3 the size of the other foot. I don't see any sign of trauma or scarring, but I also don't see any sign of a toenail... it's just messed up. We had our brooder lined with paper towels, the chicks were eating more pine shavings than feed when we first brought them home. As soon as we took the paper towels away, I think it gave he a better grip with her goofy toe and off she went.

She is clearly developmentally behind her roommates and is smaller (I expected the size difference as a polish in with an EE and a few RIR.) but she is back on course. While her roommates are jumping and flapping into the walls, she is still running into them. But... she is running.

Back
Top Bottom