Polish Chicken Crest Pecked and Bloody

AStitchofKate

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
I had a polish chicken that found herself on the lower end of pecking order this morning. One of my silver laced cochins pecked and made her bleed. I have separated my polish but I have heard that there is something you can put on their heads to help hide the evidence of this to deter the other from going after her so she can be reintroduced with the all faster?? Have I just pulled that outta the air or what is this stuff?? LOl Thank you all !

Yes, there are sprays called Blu-Kote and Wound-Kote that can help heal it and cover up the color of blood. I've found them to help a lot on healing my chickens.
smile.png

Should I then continue to keep her separated or will she be ok to put back in once I do this? Sorry, this is my fave gal that got hurt. (go figure! its always the favorite! lol) But I want to be smart about it! lol

How bad was she hurt? If it was only a little flesh wound, I think she'll be fine. If it was bleeding pretty good, I'd separate her until she's doing better. Or if it keeps bleeding I'd suggest separating her. I've had one of my girls pecked so bad that her veins were exposed, so we separated her, sprayed her with the Wound-Kote, and in just a couple days she was doing much better. I'm sorry it was your favorite girl.
sad.png
I'm sure she'll heal up!

Well, i used the stuff. And I put her in with them last night came back in this morning and MORE head feathers are gone and they were trying to peck at her with me there. :( So I decided to separate and keep her that way until they are healed. Or at least for a few days or so to have them forget. I have all the things there for them to peck at as alternatives. They have PLENTY of room and space. I think this is cause of her crest feathers? I have no idea. They have not messed with my other two polish at all. But this one has been messing with my one silver laced cochin and she has always seemed to be "top hen". I don't know. She was SO upset to be separated from them. I laughed and told my husband this is like a bad abusive relationship. She is begging to be with the very ones hurting her. hahaahah

I'm sorry she was hurt again. It seems like there's an aggressive hen there that won't leave her alone. Keep the Polish separated and I would also recommend separating the aggressor as well to try to stop her. I've had an aggressive hen before, and although I don't think this has been proven, the day after I fed her some garlic, she was nice again and I had no further problems. She was pecking at anyone, and would even seek someone out to peck, but she stopped after I gave her garlic. And same as you, mine have more than enough space and entertainment, so I knew that wasn't the problem. If you notice that the aggressive hen is attacking you or hurting your girls while you're with them, pick her up and point her body to where her head and neck are facing up toward the sky. That is what I have found to be a submissive position for them, letting them know you're the boss. I hope this helps.

I have had a couple of polish hens kept in a mixed flock, and at different times they both had head feathers plucked out in a half dollar size spot with bleeding. Generally, I keep them inside the coop with the flock inside a cage. On the wounds, I put neosporin ointment for a couple of days, then later BluKote which I like better than Wound Kote since the color is more blue than violet. The BluKote will dry out the abrasion and hide it. After about 3 weeks the feather shafts should start showing up on her head. Watch her closely because they may try to pull the new feathers out. An alternative to BluKote is Nustock, a sulfur and pine oil-based cream that smells and tastes bad, which will hide as well as heal the wound. Many feed store carry it. Good luck because my hens go through this about every year or so. Keeping their feathers around their eyes trimmed may help them see better to not bump into everyone like mine do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom