Polish has a lump on its chest

Bizichick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Washington State
I just bought a couple of baby Polish chicks. One of them is doing great, the other seems to be more stand offish with the other chicks in the brooder and seems more tired. It also has what seems to be a large lump on the left side of its chest that I didn't notice earlier. Normal or not so much?

Not sure if this will help but here is a pic. The lump feels almost like bone....You can see how one side of the chest is bigger than the other.

If it doesn't go down, it's an impacted crop. Is your chick eating anything other then chick feed?

I actually just bought it a couple of hours ago so not sure what it had before I left the store with it. Since it has been here though it has had feed and a little bit of the bread soaked in water I give my older chicks

Okay I am so new to this chick thing that I had to look up what "impacted crop" meant. lol Impacted or full crop sound like what is going on with my chickie. Hoping for just full. I will continue to check on her and see if it goes down. I am feeling much better! :) Thank you so much for the responses. I really appreciate it!

If it is just a full crop, how long does it usually take for the lump to go down? I noticed it about 40 mins ago and it seems to have gone down a bit, but not a lot. Any ideas?

It is tough to say how long, because I have not had chicks around for a while. With adults we would remove their food and water over night and then check to see if the crop went down. But with a chick I would not want to keep it from food and water. Do frequent comparing with the other chicks in the brooder. It may not be serious, but I suppose there is the chance the chick ate some bedding and it is staying in the crop.

Check how his poop looks compared to the other chicks. If you hold a chick long enough it will poop. Welcome to the wonderful world keeping pet chickens - you will spend more time considering poop!

I checked last night just before bed and the lump seemed a little smaller but not gone. I haven't checked closely this morning yet. I did notice that my little problem child seems just as active as its buddy though. Thanks so much for the advice I will be checking poop I guess. After 4 kiddos I can handle it!
smile.png

I have a chick with the exact same bulge! thankfully getting smaller now but at first he was acting very sickly

Back
Top Bottom