Crystammarie

Hatching
Mar 14, 2024
Hi friends!

So I have 8 chicks, two were labeled “assorted Polish crested”. The one absolutely looks like a Polish, but I’m unsure on this black one. Someone said he might be a crevecoeur, but I’m not sure how to tell the difference? He’s about 5 weeks old in this photo and he just started letting out baby crows today 😅

He’s taller than my salmon faverolles (who are my curviest chicks) but not as thick.

IMG_8798.jpeg
IMG_8794.jpeg

I believe crevecoeur are a bearded breed. Polish can have a beard or not. Yours has no beard so it's a polish I believe.

Crevecoeurs are supposed to have beards, but they can have pretty substantial wattles along with them, just going off of photos on Google. I'm not sure that there are completely black Polish chickens, but there are white-crested black, and I think that's likely what yours is, seeing as he was labeled a Polish and there's really no reason to think otherwise.

Not sure if this helps, but I breed white crested black Polish, and if this chick was completely black when he was born, then he most likely is Crevecoeur. White crested blacks are not completely black when born.

There are all black and all blue Polish, but they are rare and non-standard varieties. So I think this is more likely to be a Crevecouer who just happens to be beardless. It can happen, especially from certain hatcheries. Repost if you can in a few weeks if it isn't clear by then.

What a cutie!!

I got 6 Crevecoeur pullets last February and a cockerel in June last year. Your little guy looks so much like them when they were young!

This was my boy. At this age he didn't have his beard or muffs yet. It took a bit for them to come in. It seemed to coincide with his crest getting full.
IMG_20230716_161005919_HDR(1).jpg

And as McB stated, as a chick he was mostly solid black:
Hans, the Crevecoeur cockerel
IMG_20230616_122806529(1).jpg

White crested blacks have a lot of cream on them, in my limited experience:
My white crested black Pooka as a chick
IMG_20230705_143858787_HDR.jpg

My Crevecoeur rooster now, full muffs and beard:
IMG_20231107_163540487.jpg

As for the beard/muffs, two of my Crevecoeur girls don't have them. As a result they have huuuuuge wattles! The other Crevecoeurs used to tug on them all the time. haha

Helga, Crevecoeur
IMG_20230731_121032038_HDR.jpg

Hope this helps some! I got a little carried away with the pictures, sorry! But I think you've got a Crevecoeur there.

Back
Top Bottom