Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not rude at all. This is a forum where we can help each other. I'd hate to see someone think they are buying round eggs and getting all pullets only to find out that is not the case though. I have a biology degree so I go looking for evidence when I see things like this and I shared the information I found for anyone else who might be interested. The paper on sex determination in chickens is actually quite interesting. So there is no "issue" anywhere. If you don't find it interesting you don't have to read it, but if it saves someone the heartache of thinking they are going to get a lovely basket of pullets and maybe that's not really the case, that person may want more of the information available. There are many people reading through the threads and doing searches for information on BYC.

thumbsup.gif

I'm with you. My husband has a Biology degree and I enjoyed studying with him. I don't have a biology degree, but I am a bit of a science minded person who likes knowing what is and what isn't. Thank you! :)

Not rude at all. This is a forum where we can help each other. I'd hate to see someone think they are buying round eggs and getting all pullets only to find out that is not the case though. I have a biology degree so I go looking for evidence when I see things like this and I shared the information I found for anyone else who might be interested. The paper on sex determination in chickens is actually quite interesting. So there is no "issue" anywhere. If you don't find it interesting you don't have to read it, but if it saves someone the heartache of thinking they are going to get a lovely basket of pullets and maybe that's not really the case, that person may want more of the information available. There are many people reading through the threads and doing searches for information on BYC.

Ok no worries. I just misunderstood your tone. Sorry. :) I have seen some people get very nasty on here lol. It's hard to believe anyone would believe it but I guess their are some out there lol. :)

I'm sorry but I have to decline your offer, I'm currently not interested in a hatching game. Personally, yes, I have enough faith in the scientific method to lend at least a little credence to the findings published in a peer reviewed scientific journal. I am not forcing or even requesting that you personally believe it. I simply shared my opinion and backed it up with the facts I used to form my opinion. You can ignore it, it's ok, I won't be offended, but the information is there for anyone else who might want to see both sides and is interested in learning. As for finding the information, I simply typed into Google "can you tell the sex of a chicken from the shape of the egg".  The very first one to pop up in the search is My Pet Chicken, who I would venture a guess hatches more chickens than either of us and they said, " [COLOR=47476D]There is no way to tell the difference between an egg that will hatch a female chick and an egg that will hatch a male chick (excluding, perhaps, intra ova DNA testing). Instead, there are lots of old wives' tales out there, most of which have to do with the shape of the egg..." [/COLOR]The information specific to the article I linked is : Chue, J. and Smith, C.A. "Sex Determination and sexual differentiation in the avian model" the FEBS Journal mini review, 278 (2011) 1027-1034

Thanks for posting that's the same link that started my inquiry.
Glad someone else researches stuff.
One point to mention though, if there was a simpler method to produce chicks that was cost effect&so easy do you actually think large hatchers would want the public to know?
Do you know how many headaches it would avoid for small farms? Its like auto sexing I'm sure some folks still think a dot on a head or barring are wives tales too. Its all my own personnel experiences. Lots of people might say for instance miracles don't occur in our time, that depending on who you are isint necessarily the truth.
Example I was told I would never be able to have kids,,,science was wrong, prayer,faith I my belief won out.

You have to go thru the motions sometimes. You get in a fight spot on a wing&a prayer,push comes to shove and you get to pick a round verses pointy when you desperately need pulleys my guess is you will have to fight the urge to reach for the round egg.

You can get a good look at a T bone by sticking your head up a bulls butt-I'd rather take the butcher's word too Tommy boy.
1f609.png

Ok no worries. I just misunderstood your tone. Sorry. :) I have seen some people get very nasty on here lol. It's hard to believe anyone would believe it but I guess their are some out there lol. :)

Not picky maybe but not Jennifer or I ever are the hating type, we just like exploring the angles. Good debate guys that was intresting!

Not picky maybe but not Jennifer or I ever are the hating type, we just like exploring the angles. Good debate guys that was intresting!

Thanks for posting that's the same link that started my inquiry.
Glad someone else researches stuff.
One point to mention though, if there was a simpler method to produce chicks that was cost effect&so easy do you actually think large hatchers would want the public to know?
Do you know how many headaches it would avoid for small farms? Its like auto sexing I'm sure some folks still think a dot on a head or barring are wives tales too. Its all my own personnel experiences. Lots of people might say for instance miracles don't occur in our time, that depending on who you are isint necessarily the truth.
Example I was told I would never be able to have kids,,,science was wrong, prayer,faith I my belief won out.

You have to go thru the motions sometimes. You get in a fight spot on a wing&a prayer,push comes to shove and you get to pick a round verses pointy when you desperately need pulleys my guess is you will have to fight the urge to reach for the round egg.

You can get a good look at a T bone by sticking your head up a bulls butt-I'd rather take the butcher's word too Tommy boy.
1f609.png

I also believe there is a lot we don't understand. Faith and prayers go along way to making miracles happen and unfortunately science changes its fact every 10 years or so. I agree that just because it's written in a journal doesn't mean it's true. We definitely don't know everything. Lots of old wives tales have a bit of truth to them. That has been proven. We should never look down at things we don't understand.. :)

I also believe there is a lot we don't understand. Faith and prayers go along way to making miracles happen and unfortunately science changes its fact every 10 years or so. I agree that just because it's written in a journal doesn't mean it's true. We definitely don't know everything. Lots of old wives tales have a bit of truth to them. That has been proven. We should never look down at things we don't understand..
smile.png
Very True! I like to think of 'science' as human's attempt at figuring how everything got made and put together. We won't understand everything and we make mistakes, but the one thing we must do is be kind, even if we don't understand something or agree with another person.

Very True! I like to think of 'science' as human's attempt at figuring how everything got made and put together. We won't understand everything and we make mistakes, but the one thing we must do is be kind, even if we don't understand something or agree with another person.

If only this were true. All too frequently 'kindness' is replaced with passive aggressive rudeness hidden beneath the guise of 'debate'.

My polish is almost a year old, and has never laid an egg. She was also attacked by a dog this Feburary. Should I be concerned, or is it normal for chickens not to lay eggs after a traumatic experience?
idunno.gif

If only this were true.  All too frequently 'kindness' is replaced with passive aggressive rudeness hidden beneath the guise of 'debate'.

Oh dear sounds like a ruff day. (was hoping to encourage that we are all human). I didn't want to bring anyone down.
@chicken 555 good point about the science conclusions! I like it!

@04luver
Sorry to hear your polish got so tramatizied. I would think as each chickens kinda different their laying schedule may vary. I read on here once it can take over 8months to get first egg in a polish's case. I imagine there's a few variables.. Sorry if I'm not more help. My polish are a few months old&no eggs yet.

Back
Top Bottom