Poll: Best chicken coop floor

In your opinion, which floor is the best to use in a chicken coop?

• concrete

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • unfinished wood

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • painted wood

• linoleum/vinyl flooring

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • wire mesh

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • bamboo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • grass/ground cover (for example, if you are using a portable coop)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • deep litter method (using wood chips, sawdust, leaves, grass, etc.)

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • dirt

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • sand

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • gravel

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • OTHER

• Total voters

I am seeking your opinions and input about what floor to put in our future chicken coop. This is the first time I have started a poll. If I have created this correctly, you may pick more than one answer. If you have any comments or prefer a flooring that is not listed in the poll, please tell me about it. Thanks!

Thanks for the votes. I realized after I finished making this poll that I should probably have put it in a different section of the forum.

--Thank you to the moderators for moving this thread to the correct part of the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best floor, IMO, 3/4" plywood, covered by Blackjack #57. It's a rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes. You put this down, and forget about your coop's floor. It totally seals all floor joints, as well as the floor to wall seam. Vinyl or linoleum will age and fail at some point, letting moisture, chickens crap, and who knows what else, (Bugs, parasites) under it to eat at your floor. Then you will need to tear this crap crusted mess out of your coop, a piece at a time, and replace it. The roofcoat has been down in my coop over 4yrs now, and looks just like it did when I first put it in there. Not bulletproof, but for sure chicken proof.

Best floor, IMO, 3/4" plywood, covered by Blackjack #57. It's a rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes. You put this down, and forget about your coop's floor. It totally seals all floor joints, as well as the floor to wall seam. Vinyl or linoleum will age and fail at some point, letting moisture, chickens crap, and who knows what else, (Bugs, parasites) under it to eat at your floor. Then you will need to tear this crap crusted mess out of your coop, a piece at a time, and replace it. The roofcoat has been down in my coop over 4yrs now, and looks just like it did when I first put it in there. Not bulletproof, but for sure chicken proof.

Hello, I'm about to raise chickens once winter breaks here in ND (which may be a while yet ;)). Anyway, I inherited a large old chicken coop from the previous homeowners. After a thorough cleaning, I would like to do something different with the floor and really like your idea. The existing floor is dirt and seems to be very dusty. I'm not seeing Blackjack #57 on Lowe's website. Can you provide more of a description? Thanks.

Hello, I'm about to raise chickens once winter breaks here in ND (which may be a while yet ;)). Anyway, I inherited a large old chicken coop from the previous homeowners. After a thorough cleaning, I would like to do something different with the floor and really like your idea. The existing floor is dirt and seems to be very dusty. I'm not seeing Blackjack #57 on Lowe's website. Can you provide more of a description? Thanks.
Here's the link. This is what I used.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&productId=3043257

Last edited:
Thanks again for the votes and the info you all shared! I'm leaning toward using a dirt floor with the deep litter method for our new coop (when it warms up enough to finish building it). Our coop will be in a high spot that will stay nice and dry compared to the rest of the yard, so the coop will not become a mud pit. I think JackE's suggestion might be my second choice. Dirt fits my budget much better, though.
big_smile.png

I use a dirt floor in my coop. In the summers I like to leave it just plain dirt, as my chickens usually free range most of the day in the warm months, so no need for much litter. In the winter/cold months, I lay hay/straw down for added insulation and it gives the chickens something to peck at when they won't go out in the run. My chickens love the dirt floor because they can make their own dust bath bowls in the dirt, so in the summer they can cool off in the shaded coop while taking a dust bath.
smile.png

Went to Lowe's today looking for a piece of vinyl to put in the coop and came across a clearance shelf in the flooring department and found the 12x12 stick down vinyl tiles .05 cents a piece, $1.28 for the whole floor."score"

Back
Top Bottom