Poll: Best chicken coop floor

In your opinion, which floor is the best to use in a chicken coop?

• concrete

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • unfinished wood

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • painted wood

• linoleum/vinyl flooring

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • wire mesh

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • bamboo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • grass/ground cover (for example, if you are using a portable coop)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • deep litter method (using wood chips, sawdust, leaves, grass, etc.)

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • dirt

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • sand

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • gravel

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • OTHER

• Total voters
Best floor, IMO, 3/4" plywood, covered by Blackjack #57. It's a rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes. You put this down, and forget about your coop's floor. It totally seals all floor joints, as well as the floor to wall seam. Vinyl or linoleum will age and fail at some point, letting moisture, chickens crap, and who knows what else, (Bugs, parasites) under it to eat at your floor. Then you will need to tear this crap crusted mess out of your coop, a piece at a time, and replace it. The roofcoat has been down in my coop over 4yrs now, and looks just like it did when I first put it in there. Not bulletproof, but for sure chicken proof.
I was thinking linoleum with sand on top... but this sounds like an even better idea than linoleum. But cost-wise, is it comparable?

Our coop floor is OSB painted with DeckOver (it's a thick deck paint that rolls on very thick) with about 4 or 5 inches of pine shavings. Most of the poop lands on the poopboard (lined with PDZ) under the roost but what does land on the floor quickly dries up in the shavings.

Update, I did build my coop in my garage and left the floor cement. So far I like it. We use hay for bedding. It cleans out well, and we completely washed it out twice this summer. Cleaned up great.

Back
Top Bottom