Pondless ....

Pretty much any breed. You can buy a kiddie pool if you are only going to have a few ducks. I had a kiddie pool when I had my mallards. I still have it but won't fill it till it's warm enough to not freeze. Muscovies don't need as much swim time and right now mine use a black rubber pan, big enough for one duck at a time, and take turns bathing about every other day.

Well, you could keep any type of duck, actually. Muscoveys usually do not swim as much as most ducks, because their oil glands aren't as developed, and call ducks are small, and would do better in a pool, but really, any duck will make due with a swimming pool (kiddie pool) if no pond is available.

currently I have 24 ducks (was 26 - minus two since yesterday
sad.png
) and I have no pond at the moment. I am hoping to put one in, but even if I don't they'll have a swimming pool to swim in. (21 of the ducks are babies still, and inside the house)

I had hoped to free range them on the farm, but now I am wondering whether I should put them in a pen, or put the dog in a pen. My dog killed two of my ducks yesterday. He loves chickens, wouldn't dream of harming a feather on them - but ducks are just different, I guess, and he saw them as prey.

I have pics of him laying asleep amidst the chickens, and pics of the chickens stealing food out of his mouth - I never dreamed he would kill the ducks. I guess I was wrong.

meri

I bought a 125 gallon pre formed pond with a pump for 29.00 on clearance at Lowes!!!
They are closing out all their outdoor ponds in Danville Illinois...
It 6 ft. long 4 ft. wide and is 3 ft. deep in middle and has 4 shelves where the ducks can rest on and climb out of. Probably won't use the pump cause it will clog up real soon!
They had even larger 250 gallon ones for 69.00 but I do not want to dig that much of a hole in the ground..
lol.png
I am going to use it for my call ducks.. I have a small backyard pond for my muscovy ducks who free range all day. They rarely get into it or erode the bank like other types of ducks do.. Love my guys...
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'll have to see if I can find it - I moved a lot of pics around on photobucket the last few days (I had over 25 pages, had to get rid of some
lau.gif
) I know I kept it, though, so if it isn't on Photobucket, then I'll find it on the computer.

Quote:
I have a pond and my werido ducks won't go near it! they like their kiddie pool.

DSC_0282.jpg

He's a buff (Lucky) and she's a Swedish mix (Duse)

Last edited:
Will have to look further for the chicken eating his food one - but here is one of him sleeping with two chickens eating treats by him.

I have a Barred Rock who regularly steals his food, I need to get a pic of her doing it, she is VERY brave.

P0003109.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom