Poop board and sand question

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
Hi. We started using a poop board in our coop recently (works great!) - we put sand on the poop board and I scoop the poop daily with a litter scoop so that I can shake out the sand and pick up the poop. My questions is - how often do you have to fully replace the sand? I add fresh sand on top of the sand as some of it depletes through the scooping process, but wasn't sure how often I should throw out all the sand and start over?

Hi. We started using a poop board in our coop recently (works great!) - we put sand on the poop board and I scoop the poop daily with a litter scoop so that I can shake out the sand and pick up the poop. My questions is - how often do you have to fully replace the sand? I add fresh sand on top of the sand as some of it depletes through the scooping process, but wasn't sure how often I should throw out all the sand and start over?
When it starts to stink?

I do it a bit differently.
I use straight PDZ(zeolite) in a thin layer and sift it all daily, adding when it needs it:
Here's some posts about it, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/...ch-x-9-inch-mesh-drawer-organizer-silver.html

I use straight PDZ(zeolite) in a thin layer and sift it all daily, adding when it needs it
I've found this works really well for me too. This time of year, I try to keep a thick layer of PDZ on the board. Poop freezes to the board and is difficult to get scraped off, but a thick layer of PDZ helps some with that.

The positive thing about frozen poop is it smells less. :hmm

I've found this works really well for me too. This time of year, I try to keep a thick layer of PDZ on the board. Poop freezes to the board and is difficult to get scraped off, but a thick layer of PDZ helps some with that.

The positive thing about frozen poop is it smells less. :hmm
Yes, the looser poops can freeze even to the vinyl I have.

I also do it differently but I'm not where it gets that cold. Not sure where you are located. I use a flat painted wooden surface (plywood) and scrape the poop off when I need to. No tray. No sand or PDZ to sift through. But my criteria is the same, if it starts to stink I waited too long. Over the years I've learned when that is.

We all have different circumstances and conditions, I'm not going to get into what is best because that can be different for different people. That's why no one can tell you how often (if ever) you will need to toss that sand and replace it. If it stays dry (by scooping it daily it may stay dry) then it may never stink but it may change color or texture enough that you want to replace it. It's a good question because you did not know and it can help to know what others do. But this is one that you need to go by what you see. When you think you need to change it is when you need to change it, whatever your criteria.

Is the Sweet PDZ safe if it gets stuck on the eggs? I only have 1 pullet laying (I have 2 others that recently started to squat, so I think it will be soon for them), the one that is laying will only lay on the poop board, I think she is dropping from the roost (she did lay in the nest box until it got wet from rain when we noticed a leak, fixed it but now she won't lay there). Each time I pick up the egg it's either covered with stuck on sand or a mix of sand and poop. Obviously if I add the PDZ that will get stuck too, just wanted to make sure that is okay. I wipe off the sand but I don't wash the eggs until I'm ready to eat them.

Is the Sweet PDZ safe if it gets stuck on the eggs? I only have 1 pullet laying (I have 2 others that recently started to squat, so I think it will be soon for them), the one that is laying will only lay on the poop board, I think she is dropping from the roost (she did lay in the nest box until it got wet from rain when we noticed a leak, fixed it but now she won't lay there). Each time I pick up the egg it's either covered with stuck on sand or a mix of sand and poop. Obviously if I add the PDZ that will get stuck too, just wanted to make sure that is okay. I wipe off the sand but I don't wash the eggs until I'm ready to eat them.
PDZ is safe.
If they have more than a speck or two of poop,
best to wash them right away and refrigerate.

the one that is laying will only lay on the poop board, I think she is dropping from the roost
More than likely What is happening is she can't see to get to the nest box because it is dark. days are shorter but the chicken egg cycle cant wait for sun up. I put in a battery opp, photo cell, low light, night light and no more eggs on the poop board.
Mr Beams MB500A Wireless Battery Powered Amber Sleep Friendly LED Nightlight, 2-Pack, White
And my poop board is covered in linoleum flooring. I use just PZD. as long as you rake it every 3 or 4 days. dont let it stack up or you will use up to much PZD. You will see how it works. No smell, no flies and clean coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom