Poop Experts, Please!

I have seen cecal poop this dark before, on occasion. Does it smell especially terrible? Cecal poops always do. They come directly from the satanic gland in a chicken (not really but it seems like it).

Anyhow, I suspect they are normal.

Cecal poops...They look normal to me. The darker the poo the higher the nitrogen level (good for gardens!) and the smell factor. I think sometimes I'll see darker poos after I've fed the dark shelled BOSS too. Have you been feeding black sunflower seeds by chance? LOL.

Cecal poops...They look normal to me. The darker the poo the higher the nitrogen level (good for gardens!) and the smell factor. I think sometimes I'll see darker poos after I've fed the dark shelled BOSS too. Have you been feeding black sunflower seeds by chance? LOL.

Nothing special other than some alfalfa hay.

Alfalfa is the reason you are seeing that poo probably a little more. It's usually higher in protein. I know these are different animals but it's usually given in moderation to horses and really only used for work or race horses. Usually the first spring cutting is higher in protein levels and second cutting is less "potent". I'm sure your chooks are loving it...but probably give it in moderation.

Alfalfa is the reason you are seeing that poo probably a little more. It's usually higher in protein. I know these are different animals but it's usually given in moderation to horses and really only used for work or race horses. Usually the first spring cutting is higher in protein levels and second cutting is less "potent". I'm sure your chooks are loving it...but probably give it in moderation.
After doing some work today in their pen, I had forgotten that I'd thrown some raw beets out to them along with some broccoli stems and cabbage. That's probably it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom