Poop in eye? Or something else?

goldberry22

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Illinois
I noticed a few hours ago our little Goldberry had some crusty stuff around her eye. We caught her and tried wiping it off with a warm rag, and i noticed it looked almost like chicken poop? She hangs out with the other young ones in a little pile in the dust bath or sometimes at night in the coop. Anyway the area around her eye seems a little red and irritated. We have her inside in a large dog crate right now with food, water, and save a chick. Anything else we need to do? And how long should we keep her seperated from the others? The picture is from after i removed most of it.
IMG_20230727_193824.jpg

I would just keep her separated from the others until you REALLY know what it is. If it is contagious, (which is probably not the case, but better safe than sorry), you don't want the other chickens infected. I would just take her to the vet if the irritation around her eyes gets any worse.

Maybe it is poop, or it could be crusty drainage. I would get that cleaned off with soapy water and a rag. Is there bubbles or gunk in her eye?
I got it all off after we took pictures! Her actual eyeball was a little red but seems fine (i think). There was a little tear drop, but no bubbles or anything. She is acting fine, eating drinking and running around!

I wouldn’t keep her separated unless she is being pecked. It shouldn’t take long to determine if this is caked on droppings, a scab from an injury, or dried drainage. There are too many problems trying to reintegrate a chickens that has been separated, so best to keep her with the others to maintain the pecking order.

Edited to say, that is great.

I would just keep her separated from the others until you REALLY know what it is. If it is contagious, (which is probably not the case, but better safe than sorry), you don't want the other chickens infected. I would just take her to the vet if the irritation around her eyes gets any worse.
She seems fine besides the gunky irritation! I'll try and call the vet tomorrow, we are pretty rural so idk how much they deal with "pet" chickens, but hopefully they can help! Thanks 😊

I wouldn’t keep her separated unless she is being pecked. It shouldn’t take long to determine if this is caked on droppings, a scab from an injury, or dried drainage. There are too many problems trying to reintegrate a chickens that has been separated, so best to keep her with the others to maintain the pecking order.

Edited to say, that is great.
Thank you! She is at the bottom or pretty close to it in the pecking order already, i think that's why we have such a soft spot for her! She is asleep now and the rest are all in the coop. I mentioned to someone else in the thread calling a vet, but if its better in the morning should i put her back? And any tips on keeping the peace when i do it?

Spend some time with them when you add her back. Sometimes a wire dog crate with food and water can be useful if one is picked on, but I would spend more time with them to see who is doing what. Pinless peepers are something to consider using on a particular bully.

Spend some time with them when you add her back. Sometimes a wire dog crate with food and water can be useful if one is picked on, but I would spend more time with them to see who is doing what. Pinless peepers are something to consider using on a particular bully.
Okay thank you, we have a wire dog crate somewhere, i will have to get it out and do some investigating!

Back
Top Bottom