Poop in the waterer?

Forgot to mention, with very small bantam chicks, we start them on newspaper sheets under a light, with a 1 qt. mason jar screwed onto a gamebird fount bottom, which are about half the size of a regular chick fount bottom. This prevents them becoming soaked, and is narrow so it keeps them out of the water as well.

That's a great idea if they are pulling feed out! Haven't had much problem with that, we use a lot of feeders and only fill them half way.

I used an 8oz sour cream container filled with sand (for weight) to elevate my chick waterer. You could just use a brick or block of wood.

I think I would use a block of Wood good idea!

You’re getting some real good suggestions so far. Elevating it some is really important no matter what and make sure it is level. It’s not just the poop, it’s them scratching other stuff like bedding in it. Changing it out daily is often enough, it takes longer than that for the Coccidiosis to go through that part of its life cycle, and that is your biggest danger from dirty water. But do change it out daily.

What else you can do will depend on what type of waterer you use. In some cases I use a bowl with rocks in it so they won’t drown, but it is just a bowl. If you put a cover a couple of inches over that where they cannot get up on the rim to perch, you can cut down on the poop dramatically. How high depends on their size, I use this trick for adults too.

Well I use a waterer like this

The chicks are about 5 inches

Here are pictures of the "wire floors" I elevate our feeders and waterers on. This shows them after 2 days without changing. The bedding is rice hulls, which fall easily through the 1/2" holes in the wire mesh. I think this only would work well if the bedding can pass through the wire grid easily. I add about the equivalent of 1/2 tsp more or less of chlorine bleach to the water each time I fill it which further prevents bacterial problems. It does not seem to negatively affect the digestion of the chicks; we never have to medicate and they grow very well. Just showing what has worked rally well for us. Note: I have to wire down the feeders to the platforms or they will get knocked off as the chicks grow larger. You could avoid the wire probably by having a screw protrude through the bottom of the feeders to catch on the wire, but I don't like to drill holes in my feeders. The metal feeders also outlast the plastic many many times over, the one shown is about 40+ years old and good as new. I do prefer plastic founts though, to monitor the water level. Plus they can be soaked in bleach solution which isn't so good for galvanized metal, though those wash up easily with soap and a brush, especially after a brief soaking in water to soften the manure. Hope this helps.

I think it'll work for the waterer, but my feeder isn't like this, I'll probably but one on the future, when they grow up

Forgot to mention, with very small bantam chicks, we start them on newspaper sheets under a light, with a 1 qt. mason jar screwed onto a gamebird fount bottom, which are about half the size of a regular chick fount bottom. This prevents them becoming soaked, and is narrow so it keeps them out of the water as well.

I don't know if they are Bantam, I don't even know their breed

I think I would use a block of Wood good idea!

Well I use a waterer like this

The chicks are about 5 inches
That's the kind of water I used too, it fits nicely on the 8oz (or 16oz after they get taller) sour cream type container to raise it up. I had one shorter chick that I had a little block of wood it could stand on to get a drink easier.

I had a similar style feeder too which I put on the screen covered shallow box to catch the billed out feed.

Just set the waterer up on a brick or 2x4 or whatever you have laying around. Doesn't need to be fancy, just high enough they can't poop or scratch shavings/bedding in it.

Yep, hanging works the best . My water stays clean and easy to access. I have the picture above water that is plastic. In the summer, a nice tub for extra water is a good idea .

Just set the waterer up on a brick or 2x4 or whatever you have laying around. Doesn't need to be fancy, just high enough they can't poop or scratch shavings/bedding in it.
Yep, hanging works the best . My water stays clean and easy to access. I have the picture above water that is plastic. In the summer, a nice tub for extra water is a good idea .

The problema is that the jump on it, like this:

Back
Top Bottom