Poop Issues

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Trio of 2 week old Silkie chicks, one hatched at home, two purchased from a breeder. We had another that hatched at home but it died at one week from something respitory :(

They get medicated Manna Pro chick feed, fresh water daily, and the brooder is cleaned daily. The smallest chick has had pasty butt from day 1, and the other two have it on and off. I just did a 5 day treatment with Corid and now finishing day 1 of Nutri Drench in the water.

Is this poop bloody or normal?
I got Sav a Chick probiotic packets to add to their water. Should I add it WITH the Nutri Drench, or alone? Any suggestions for clearing up the pasty butt?
I'm new to baby chicks, always had momma hen hatch them or else bought older chicks more feathered out.
20210428_212930.jpg
20210428_212926.jpg

Very hard to see but it looks a bit bloody. Any reason you only did 5 days of Corid instead of the full course of treatment, if you're suspecting coccidiosis? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

As far as Nutri-Drench & probiotics, there's really no need to add those to Nutri-Drench water if using. Though if you're treating for coccidiosis it's best to wait until completely done with that before adding any extra vitamins.

As far as pasty butt, I find temperature to be a big contributor to it. What is your heat source, and how hot/cool is it in your brooder?

Everything I read (until you shared that link) just said to treat for 5 days :confused:

They have a Brinsea heat plate and a heat lamp with a regular bulb (not a heat bulb) that keeps part of the brooder at about 80 F

I'd do an extended course of treatment just to make sure you kill off the parasite.

As far as the temperature, reduce the heat - the heat plate alone is enough, they don't need the rest of the brooder kept so hot.

Thanks, especially at 2 weeks I'm sure they can go without. I added it because the one that died made me worry it wasnt warm enough, brooder pneumonia, etc. And then they were so much more active, basking in the light. I wasnt sure if the heat plate was working ok.
Right now they sleep under it but otherwise they hang out under the light mostly, even though there's a cooler end to go to if they're too hot.

Back
Top Bottom