Poop sticking to chicken butt

Happycamper07

In the Brooder
I have had my chickens for almost a year now and haven't had any problems with then till recently when one of my bigger hens started to get poop stuck to her butt. I've tried researching about what to do but haven't been able to help her. She is one of my good layers and I want to help her as soon as possible. She's the only hen who's had this problem. Any ideas on what I should do???

Attachments

• 20240128_135209.jpg
    20240128_135209.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 33
That can be a common problem if the dropping does not clear the lower belly. It can happen if they have had some diarrhea, or if the lower belly sticks out with or without a problem. In cold weather I usually just pull off what I can, trim it or trim the extra fluff that is getting stuck. In warmer weather a shallow soapy vent bath might clean her better. You can do that if you bring her in a towel dry then blow dry, before she goes back to the coop. Make sure that she is eating a balanced chicken feed, limit treats, and give clean water daily. If it continues, a probiotic twice a week might help. Plain yogurt a spoonful mixed in food or egg may help.

That can be a common problem if the dropping does not clear the lower belly. It can happen if they have had some diarrhea, or if the lower belly sticks out with or without a problem. In cold weather I usually just pull off what I can, trim it or trim the extra fluff that is getting stuck. In warmer weather a shallow soapy vent bath might clean her better. You can do that if you bring her in a towel dry then blow dry, before she goes back to the coop. Make sure that she is eating a balanced chicken feed, limit treats, and give clean water daily. If it continues, a probiotic twice a week might help. Plain yogurt a spoonful mixed in food or egg may help.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom