poor boots..win ugliest bird award..pullet or roo?

abenardini

Songster
7 Years
Hey guys, last question for the night. This is boots and I am not certain of the breed, though I think brahma.

Pullet? Definitely homely. We just put her in a chicken saddle because she picks her back blood feathers (she is not over-fond of it).

I don't think she is homely at all. Are you sure SHE is pulling out her feathers?. Damage in the area, is usually caused by a rooster trying to breed. Or flock members may be doing it to her. She is clean faced but, feather footed. I would say pullet but, she has reddish feathers near the wings which can be a male color pattern & seems slow to feather out.

I'm positive she's doing it. Since rescuing her, she systematically pulls out her new blood feathers until she's bald. She has been bald on her back since 10 weeks old, likely much earlier since her prior owner's less-than-ideal living conditions didn't help. No mites or other illness. She also, surprisingly isn't the lowest in the pecking order.

I'm hopeful the chicken saddle will help and allow for new growth. 99.9% sure she is getting adequate nutrients as I have been providing higher protein feed.

Looking at the second picture you posted, "she" looks very much like a partridge Cochin cockerel. If its a standard sized Cochin, they're super slow to mature (which would explain lack of of manly behavior).

You might check that bird very closely for external parasites. Chickens can tend to over preen when they've got mites or lice. Just a thought, but I do think your chicken is a boy.

:/Thanks for the replies! The bird nor any of her/his 13 flockmates have any signs of external parasites and they've all been together now for more than a month. The little ones have always resided together. What my thought is, the small birds I rescued were kept in unscrupulous conditions. This led the others to pick on her; when the feathers started to regrow under my care, their blood-filled quills attracted Boots to begin plucking. So now she's in a viscious cycle. Also, four of her flockmates I got from the same home were very bald when I first got them....but have regrown their feathers thankfully....lots of Tlc.

I'll post updated pics after she has worn the saddle for a while.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom