Poor Debra - violent cock

Krystalkate

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
My poor little golden comet chicken Debra who is 2 years old is getting roughed up from our 8 month old rex a saurus cock. They have lived alone together for 4 month. Whenever the deed is done it’s violent lol I mean I know it natural but her tail feather by her oil gland are almost gone and you can see the gland. I’m hoping this won’t cause issues to the gland if it continues. It’s slowly gotten its way to this and she did start out with all her feathers there and a yeast infection I had to deal with because she is just unhygienic bird that I have to give her butt soaks all the time.

Anyone else have only one chicken and one rooster and their poor chicken is roughed up from it?

Your poor hen will continue to be torn apart. I have 5 hens to my roo and it’s not enough for him. He wore 3 of the hens bare on their backs and all 5 had wear on their shoulders. Finally his spur or claw cut one of my hens deep, requiring a vet visit and antibiotics. After that I did what I should have done a long time before that- separate them. Maybe when my roo is older he can be put back with them, or maybe I will get more hens. Learn from my mistake and don’t put your poor hen through the daily torture! The poster above offered 3 good solutions. Separation worked for me, my hens are MUCH happier.

Many people keep a single hen and rooster but it depends on the temperament of the birds. Some roosters are gentler than others. If your hen is suffering from being mated there really is only two options, to get more hens or rehome the rooster (or the hen). You could try a hen apron/saddle if you are really reluctant to do either of these.

Back
Top Bottom