Poorly Pekin- distressed and croaky voice- please help

Ambrosial

Hatching
Jul 18, 2015
Woking UK
Hello all,

I'm new, this is my first post, and I'm really worried about one of my pekins, I'd be so grateful if anyone can help.

I'm a first time chicken keeper and we picked our three girls up two weeks ago. Today one of our pekins started getting very noisy- I initially thought she was practising her 'egg song' as she's approaching point of lay. I've checked on her several times today, she feels fine, no obvious injures or obstructions, I've watched her run around and eat and drink like normal.

I just went out to put them to bed and she's still making noise and but has practically lost her voice. She's falling asleep but still trying to squawk and is bobbing her head. She let me pick her up, which is really unusual, and the other two girls are giving her a wide berth (though they may just want her to pipe down). Now I'm worried that I'm missing something obvious.

0.jpg

Please, any insights or advice very gratefully received.

(and now I'll go introduce myself properly in the new members section. Sorry to start with a panic...)

Ambrosialx

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Don't worry, I started with an emergency as well.
smile.png

My computer won't play videos, so I don't know what the sound is. Could you try to describe more what it sounds like?

I just went to let them out, and she's totally lost her voice. She's still bobbing then stretching up her neck and making a really scratchy, gurgly sound.

I phoned the breeder that we bought her from this morning (who is an absolute angel) who listened over the phone and diagnosed an upper respiratory tract infection. And a lost voice due to a day of shouting and fussing. So we're off to the vets today to get some antibiotics. And I'll be giving her some electrolytes. She's now in a box in our kitchen feeling truly sorry for herself.

God, she sounds like she's dying. Feel reassured now that I know it's something reasonably straightforward. It's very stressful when you're blatantly inexperienced at reading signs...

Ax

I'm glad you know what it is, and I hope she gets better soon. Make sure she stays hydrated and gets plenty of vitamins.

That looks very serious, possibly ILT or another common respiratory disease such as MG, bronchitis, aspergillosis (fungus,) or others. Gapeworm could also be a possibility if you lived in a tropical region. Does she have any blood stained mucus from her beak? Have you had wet conditions where mold could be a problem? Many respiratory diseases make carriers of a flock for life, and many people bring them home from a breeder. In the UK most antibiotics have to come from a vet, but she might benefit from one such as tylosin (Tylan) or tetracycline. Here is a good link to read about the common respiratory and other diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you both for your posts :)

We had her at the vet for an antibiotic jab yesterday. The vet was great, but not convinced she'd make it. She's living in a pet carrier in the kitchen, and after a tense night I came to check on her this morning and found her eating, drinking and complaining very vocally about her confinement! She's still rattly but not gasping for breath as much, and her voice is stronger.

Follow up vet appointment confirmed that she's on the mend and we've got a 6 day course of antibiotics to administer at home. We were both shocked at how quickly she became seriously ill, but also how quickly she's bouncing back. She's had a fair amount of stress as she's only been here 2 weeks, plus she's bottom of the pecking order. Thankfully she seems to be a fighter.

Eggcessive- no blood stained mucus. The coop is pretty dry, as is our garden where they roam about. We're in the UK, so it can get damp, but (sadly) not tropical ;) We'll be having a big disinfect today, and anything else I can think of. And thank you for the link x

Ax

Back
Top Bottom