pop door for coop

farmgirl7

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hanging into Texas
I'm trying to decide how to build a door for the chickens in my new coop. I'm not ready to invest in an automatic door, so how is the best way to build it? I would prefer one that goes up and down in a tract rather than a "draw bridge" type. Is there some thing easy to make the sides slide easily? Thanks ahead of time for your comments and instruction. BYC is a wonderful site!
love.gif

I'm trying to decide how to build a door for the chickens in my new coop.  I'm not ready to invest in an automatic door, so how is the best way to build it?  I would prefer one that goes up and down in a tract rather than a "draw bridge" type.  Is there some thing easy to make the sides slide easily?  Thanks ahead of time for your comments and instruction.  BYC is a wonderful site!:love  
I took a 2x4 and cut down one side and one edge leaving the shape of an "L" made one for both sides a little bigger than the 1/2 plywood door so it slides smoothly. I have my door on the inside and have the "D 20 add a motor" hooked to it, for around $80 it's a pretty nice feature to consider plugged into a digital timer with a battery back up it works great.

Hey, thanks! I hadn't considered putting it on the inside
th.gif
! That way it doesn't get wet and the wood swell and stick. I think I can figure this out. The pictures are very helpful! I have the drawbridge in my smaller coop and

Hey, thanks! I hadn't considered putting it on the inside
th.gif
! That way it doesn't get wet and the wood swell and stick. I think I can figure this out. The pictures are very helpful! I have the drawbridge in my smaller coop and

(sorry), poop and feathers, etc., are always getting in the place where it closes.

It would still be best to protect it from rain....and the bottom track can still gather poop and bedding and keep it form closing far enough for my slide lock to work. If you keep it high off the floor ~8" that will help keep the bedding in the coop.

I put an awning over my pop door and ramp...... and a glass 'foyer'(left over window panes) to block the prevailing winds.

Back
Top Bottom