Porcelain Project

All your birds are so pretty, but I especially love your porcelain and that black chick in your pictures!! I really want some black and buff! Maybe next year. I was pretty sure we had already commented on each other's Catdance Silkies :D It sure is easy to spot her birds. Mine also came from eggs purchased from Karen 2 years ago. I don't show my birds. I don't have the time to travel to shows. I sure would like to though. Sounds fun! These chicks are from the hatch I mentioned was due that Thursday I believe. I kept the 3 porcelain chicks (the rest were partridge) and 1 lavender splash (lavender x porcelain) and was lucky they all turned out to be pullets. Left rear is my lavender hen with 3 of the pullets.
Your girls are all very beautiful! That little splash looking right at the camera, posing like a little diva - adorable! Yes, I think we have. I need to go back over several threads to catch up. Why did you get rid of your partridge? Just didn't want another color? I like that little black a lot too. She has one of the largest crests....so cute! I'm anxious to see how they all pouf up after they are clean and blown dry. :) I see Sonoran is commenting on a couple of the threads. I guess she has been gone a while too.

Your girls are all very beautiful! That little splash looking right at the camera, posing like a little diva - adorable! Yes, I think we have. I need to go back over several threads to catch up. Why did you get rid of your partridge? Just didn't want another color?

I like that little black a lot too. She has one of the largest crests....so cute! I'm anxious to see how they all pouf up after they are clean and blown dry.
smile.png

I see Sonoran is commenting on a couple of the threads. I guess she has been gone a while too.

I want to see pictures of them all clean up and fluffy cute!
pop.gif
And hear how they do at the show!

I don't have enough pens to breed the partridge. I did keep one partridge pullet as a pet because she is so sweet, tiny and has really nice type. My partridge are out of my white Catdance hen x porcelain Catdance rooster. I was surprised to get partridge from that mix.

Here she is with her half sister~

OK I took 7 to the show. Four firsts and one second, one third and one fourth. The second, third and fourth were my grays competing against each other. My pictures didn't come out well because the barn was so dark, but I will post the porcelain baby's pictures here since it is the porcelain thread (and my black baby too, hope you don't mind Mumsy). I tried to take the babies and the score cards but they all didn't come out. The check mark means there was a physical check of the bird. The number in the circle is the placement. The BV means best of variety which is the color.

OK I took 7 to the show. Four firsts and one second, one third and one fourth. The second, third and fourth were my grays competing against each other. My pictures didn't come out well because the barn was so dark, but I will post the porcelain baby's pictures here since it is the porcelain thread (and my black baby too, hope you don't mind Mumsy). I tried to take the babies and the score cards but they all didn't come out. The check mark means there was a physical check of the bird. The number in the circle is the placement. The BV means best of variety which is the color.

Congratulations on the wins! You did great!
highfive.gif

How many porcelains were you competing against? Did your black take a first? It is helpful for me to see what the judges are looking for. Thanks for posting the results and pictures!
big_smile.png

It was just a small show. Smaller even than the turnout at last year's show. The largest variety was gray which had 4 in it, 3 of which were mine. Most of the other colors had two on average which was in the blue cream. Your blue cream babies would have beaten my sweet baby. She has more buff coloring on her osprey wing feathers than is desirable. If I could breed her back to a lavender male I could get that worked out with her babies. My Catdance lavender rooster just died two weeks ago, so I can't do that unless I can find a replacement.

Yes, black baby got first, here is her coop card with her barely seen in the cage because of the darkness. The judge marked age on her card because she is so petite and light weight. They are supposed to be at least 5 months old before showing but recommended 6 months or older.

We were supposed to have up to 9 AM Saturday morning before judging was to start. I had cooped in Friday night so everyone was in place. We got there about 8:15 Saturday morning. I wanted to have about 30 to 45 minutes for last minute brushing and primping. But they asked the judges to start early because ZZ Top was playing at the fair that night and they wanted that afternoon to get us all out of the way to build the stage. Anyway, my little babies did well without me brushing and fluffing them all up.

It was just a small show. Smaller even than the turnout at last year's show. The largest variety was gray which had 4 in it, 3 of which were mine. Most of the other colors had two on average which was in the blue cream. Your blue cream babies would have beaten my sweet baby. She has more buff coloring on her osprey wing feathers than is desirable. If I could breed her back to a lavender male I could get that worked out with her babies. My Catdance lavender rooster just died two weeks ago, so I can't do that unless I can find a replacement.

Yes, black baby got first, here is her coop card with her barely seen in the cage because of the darkness. The judge marked age on her card because she is so petite and light weight. They are supposed to be at least 5 months old before showing but recommended 6 months or older.

We were supposed to have up to 9 AM Saturday morning before judging was to start. I had cooped in Friday night so everyone was in place. We got there about 8:15 Saturday morning. I wanted to have about 30 to 45 minutes for last minute brushing and primping. But they asked the judges to start early because ZZ Top was playing at the fair that night and they wanted that afternoon to get us all out of the way to build the stage. Anyway, my little babies did well without me brushing and fluffing them all up.

My babies have feathered in with too much buff coloring.
sad.png
Sorry to hear you lost your lavender rooster. Looks like I need a lavender rooster as well. I do have a half brother to my pullets that is porcelain x lavender, but he is a lavender splash. Will probably give him a try and see what I get. He is a beautiful, super friendly, sweet boy.

Here is a picture I took today of the 3 young porcelain pullets that feathered in mostly buff colored.

Hi! I'm back! Computer/laptop trouble makes it difficult for me to check in here but today looks like the day! I love that there are still lovely Blue Cream Silkies being posted on my thread. My chicks are seven months and five months old now.

Self Blue, Blue Cream, and in between.

The pullets.

One of the Self Blue boys I'm holding back.

Two of the boys I'm selling.

Hi! I'm back! Computer/laptop trouble makes it difficult for me to check in here but today looks like the day! I love that there are still lovely Blue Cream Silkies being posted on my thread. My chicks are seven months and five months old now.

Self Blue, Blue Cream, and in between.

The pullets.

One of the Self Blue boys I'm holding back.

Two of the boys I'm selling.

Welcome back! Those are some beautiful chicks!
thumbsup.gif

I hope to show some of my silkies someday.

I loved the pic's and hearing about it. I have an over abundance of Blue Cream and Self Blue boys.
All of my pens in these two varieties are closely related and all trace from my original Catdance eggs. Four generations in now. I need to branch out with better type.

I bid on and won two new males offered for auction by Karen Larson and brought them home yesterday from her farm. While there I bought more mixed eggs. Self Blue,Blue Cream.and Buff are in the mix. I am in awe of my new boys. Especially the White boy. He is especially excellent.

The new Blue Cream boy will add fresh new blood and give a real boost to my pen. He is heavy with buff and that's just what I need in my pen.

~

Karen told me he is out of a Buff and Lavender pen. He's also a sweet heart! The girls took to him right away.

Last edited:

I should clarify about the heavy buff in my new CatDance boy. He is from a Buff X Lavender project pen and my hens and pullets are from Porcelain X Lavender and Porcelain X Partridge project pens. My project is not in the color stage yet. I'm still building the barn (type). I'm getting the genetics entrenched for the color now and in a few more generations. It should all even out. This new male has awesome feet, crest, comb, skin color, eye color, and stance. His cushion is amazing! He is large though. I will need to be careful to keep correct size in those chicks I grow out for myself. I just hatched F4 Blue Cream chicks from my project birds. Next summer the best of those pullets will go in with this boy.

Photo credit for my new Blue Cream boy is courtesy of Catdance farm. The day old chicks are some of my F4 Porcelain x Porcelain.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom