Possible issue.

You must live where crocodilians don't exist.
The last time I was in Costa Rica, there was a drainage ditch where dogs frequently disappeared. From time to time a person would be taken. There's one bridge where to water below is rife with them and people feed them chickens off the bridge.

Even closer to home, this happens in Florida all the time. People who weren't used to Florida would let their small dogs roam around free, and if they got near a drainage canal, they became alligator food, much to the owner's surprise. As much as I miss living in Florida (I think Florida is awesome), I would never let my chickens free-range there, LOL.

Even closer to home, this happens in Florida all the time. People who weren't used to Florida would let their small dogs roam around free, and if they got near a drainage canal, they became alligator food, much to the owner's surprise. As much as I miss living in Florida (I think Florida is awesome), I would never let my chickens free-range there, LOL.

Not a lot of alligators in Central Washington state.

I live I Washington state. We're in the country but we have the coyotes under control. Neighbor has chickens and hasn't lost any that I know of.

So I have yet to purchase my chickens. I am looking ahead though and I have a question:

I have an irrigation ditch that runs through my property. I plan to, eventually, free range during the day. I will keep them corralled until they are older then slowly introduce them to the area. Question: should I be concerned with them drowning themselves in the ditch?

Obviously they will have plenty of fresh water in waters. I give them credit for having enough brains to not crawl into the creek, and when I was a kid it was never a problem. Just a random thought I had.
Our chickens 40 plus 3 rosters have a new creek run through their yard about 2/3 of an acre fenced in due to all this rain and the love it they run/ wade through it all day!

Back
Top Bottom