Possible Leg color Sex link in Austra Whites?

Kyah

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 29, 2009
Hi,
I have a question in regards to leg/beak color in my Austra white chicks and I'm hoping someone can help????

These chicks are about 3 weeks old, and I was reading that there is a sex link (of sorts) with this cross. I've looked at my chicks, and the ones with more pronounced combs (possible roos) have yellow legs and beaks. The ones that look like young pullets all appear to have darker legs/beaks.

When the chicks were first hatched, their leg color all looked the same. Does anyone have advice or experience with this?

Many thanks,
Kyah

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to update it with my observation.

I have two AustraWhites...one girl, one boy (the comb is already pinker/bigger than the other so that's why I think it is what it is).

Anyway, the suspect boy has a darker wash on the legs while the girl has white legs. I was wondering the same thing and went looking around the site (not much info here about AustraWhites). I don't think there is much early warning or sex-linking with AustraWhites. It all depends upon which gene the chick inherits (dark vs. light legs, more/fewer spots, etc.)

CG

Back
Top Bottom